So many transitions! HELP!

Alright, I've always shared a room with my son (17mo.) I'm currently back with my parents until the first week of March, when I'll go back to Cali with my fiance and get married. That is transition number 1. Once we are married, we will be applying for on-base housing (marines), we currently are living with 2 other marines and my fiance and I will still be sharing the room with our son. Once we get housing, he'll have a room of his own (trans #2) I'm pregnant with my second and am debating whether or not to get a second crib (turn one into a toddler bed) or a twin bed with rails. (trans #3) Any ideas on how to make these transitions easier on my little one? Housing will take a few months and he'll probably keep his crib until the new baby is too big for a bassinet..

alinker

Asked by alinker at 1:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well personally I would make as little changes as you can! Moving can not be helped. But where he sleeps can be! You control that. Make sure his bed and bedding is the same(and some toys in it) As for sharing a room, you can still do this for a while if he does not adjust to the change well, just move his crib in. i would let him keep his bed longer even if teh baby is coming, you can try but you dont want it to back fire expecially with all the changes. GOOD LUCK!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:36 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• He's ready for the toddler bed.. my daughter is only 12 months and she's in a toddler bed... make the transition..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Act like it isnt a big deal, kids are resilient and go with the flow pretty easy. Once you are in the new place give him a twin bed with rails in his own room, that way he will equate that to normal in that house, and it won't be a big deal. My DD does things different at GP house than our house because that is what she knows of that place your son will be the same way, new home new way and he will go right along with it. If you keep it the same as it is now he won't want to trasistion but use the new experience to transition, it may take a few weeks to be all ok but he will get over it and be the way you need him to be a lot faster than if you baby him too much. We tend to put our insecurities on our kids when they are just fine about things.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I would transition him to a toddler bed but I would just buy a new toddler bed cause thats cheaper then buying a new crib. I would transition him soon u dont want him to think the new baby is taking his bed. The sooner u transition it will be easier when the new baby comes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Take a deep breath and remember that kids are resilient. I agree with some suggestions, though -- keep as much consistency as you can, and try as much as possible to tackle one transition at a time. If he's not climbing out of the crib, I would not go to a toddler bed OR a twin -- instead, put the new baby in a bassinet or pack n play. My two were close together and the little one stayed in a pack n play until she was 11 months old with no complains. Then, when he's totally done with the crib, you can get a twin bed with a guard rail, because by then he should be able to handle that. For my older daughter, that was at 2 yrs 3 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2010