Is CM what you ecpected?

I kept seeing cm ads on facebook, so thought hhmmm, Im a new mom, little over a year, and thought Id enjoy hearing some cute baby/kid stories. Ive been here about a week and CAN NOT believe some of the... cant say debates.... name calling, sarcastic, down right vicious hateful things poepl... no... moms are saying to one another. I even heard murderer because there was a difference in bottle propping. Don't get me wrong I don't agree with some stuff i read but,taking a difference of opinion to this extreme? Aren't these the exact same thing were teaching our kiddos not to do? So I guess I'm asking, did yall expect all this negativity toward one another? Also, have yall made any close friends on here?

mamajo84

Asked by mamajo84 at 1:33 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in About CafeMom

• You just have to stay away from the groups where people are allowed to post crazy stuff like that. The CafeMom Newcomers Club is the worst group I have seen. But, there are some really great and supportive groups here that don't allow childish name calling and rudeness. I agree that some people take their differences to the extreme and I think it's kind of sad.

I joined CafeMom becuase I had been part of another parenting forum and some bad things happened there and I no longer participated there. But I found that I missed being able to go online and talk to other moms so after seeing several of the ads on Facebook, I joined.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i thought it would be nice to talk to other moms especially since i dont have friends or family in the town i live in, but i never expected to get stalked and insulting for posting a question and then when i go anon, i get bashed for going anon. I never answer questions in a mean way and i rarely ask questions. the last question i asked was that my ds doesnt sleep until after 12am and i'm having a hard time getting him to sleep earlier and asked if there are any tips and i had some women say that i'm abusing my 2 yr old and should have CPS involved, they even pm'd me. not what i thought it would be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I didn't see that last part when I answered before. : ) I've only been active here for about a month or so and no, I didn't expect so much negativity in some of the groups. I have made a few friends, but not close ones yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• "the last question i asked was that my ds doesnt sleep until after 12am and i'm having a hard time getting him to sleep earlier and asked if there are any tips and i had some women say that i'm abusing my 2 yr old and should have CPS involved, they even pm'd me. not what i thought it would be."

Wow, I'm sorry that happened to you. My daughter used to stay up until 2. Sometimes 3 or 4. Nothing I did made a difference. It's not abuse, hun, those ladies just don't have anything better to do than to be mean and horrible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• its better then i thought, i like giving advice, helping people, and the drama
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:58 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i guess you get a bunch of hormonal women in here dealing with husbands, SO's, kids and everything else under the sun and there's bound to be drama. It's not so bad....I stay away from uncensored groups where they promote all sorts of drama and craziness. I stick to a select groups that im interested in and answer questions that I want....there's alot to do on here and the good thing is we can pick and choose what we wanna do.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 2:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• At first I was shocked at some of the blatant name calling and meanness, but most people on here are cool. It's unfortunate that some have used this network to be rude and nasty instead of having mutual respect, regardless of opinions. But I think having a site like this where you can remain anonymous or create an avatar, brings out behavior in some individuals that is unacceptable in face to face social situations or even on the phone.

You'll quickly pick up on who the "crusaders" are and you should ignore them. They thrive on discord and arguing and you will get nowhere with them. Stay away from politics and religion (these are hot button issues) if you don't want to see as much bashing. Join some groups that you're interested in on here. They are usually much more supportive.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 2:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Wow, I'm sorry that happened to you. My daughter used to stay up until 2. Sometimes 3 or 4. Nothing I did made a difference. It's not abuse, hun, those ladies just don't have anything better to do than to be mean and horrible.
    ------------------------------------

Thanks, it's nice to know i'm not alone, lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I dunno if I am considered a meanie or not, I just get riled up on here pretty easy, but I can't stand the ones that say to stop having kids and CPS and stuff like that. I understand the anon button but it sucks at times. I dunno I like the fact that I can vent here in all different ways, I just wish more answers were really answers not snide comments. There are some serious things on here but I am also unconviced that it is all women and moms on here.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:32 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I've been here almost 3 years and "threaten" to leave all the time. (I just tell myself I'm leaving). The only good thing that has happened for ME in the 3 years is I made a really good friend in my area. When I originallly joined I thought it was going to be a nice, fun, have a few laughs ..type of place. WRONG! It's so ridiculous how mean and nasty some of these people are. The Newcomers group is suppose to be the Welcoming group ...there is nothing welcoming about it. It's filled with a lot of garbage. But then again ....it's obvious some people enjoy that type of crap. So if you asked me why I haven't left yet ....I really don't know. I guess I stick around for the 2 or 3 groups (out of thousands) that I actually enjoy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 AM on Jan. 21, 2010