Why no Harry Potter but...

The Twilight books are ok?

I am Christian and many of my friends are Christian but I loved reading the Harry Potter books and they finally got my 12 year old to love reading. But many of my friends are so adamant against the Harry Potter books because of the "witches" and "magic"... hello! Make-believe! Not true!

But then they are reading the Twilight books (not even going to mention the whole movies things, they are total addicts)! Ummm......... vampires? Evil? Any of this ringing a bell? (Some are even allowing their 11-13 year olds read the books)

I just do not understand the double-standard (and I'm too much of a wimp to ask them face to face, so I came here instead).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't understand it, either. I'm a Christian and we have read all of both series here. I started reading Harry Potter out loud to my kids when they were younger, and even though they were obviously old enough to read it to themselves by the time it finished (they could have read it to themselves when I started, but we like reading out loud), I still read it to them, just because it was how we "did" the Harry Potter books. We've also all read the Twilight books (lol, yes, even my dh read them, because our dd was so into them, and he was deployed a lot, so he read them as a way to stay connected with her...)

I don't have a problem with either, they're make believe, they are presented as such, and they are classic "good v/s evil" sorts of stories.

As long as you get it's FICTION, no biggie.. Just like, for example, King Aurthur or Cinderella or Snow White - there's magic and all of that in all of those, too...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:33 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• dont know why one is accepted and the other isnt. Personally, i dont let my kids read or watch either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I've never understood the "no fiction books with magic" either, but everytime I have seen it mentioned, it is people against both Twilight and Harry Potter. I've never heard someone be ok with one but not the other
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 2:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I don't know in fact I asked my minister the same thing. Ihe also pointed out the witch thing so I pointed out that if we remove all stories with witches and magic then all the old favorite stories are gone to. snow white,cinderella, and the absolute great books the chronicles of narnia written as christian books if there is no magic those would be out also because the lion Aslan even says that he knows the Deep magic.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 2:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I think it is stupid and it is an extremeist view, fiction is just that fiction. I don't read to learn about some religious ideal outside of my own, I read for the imaginitive enjoyments. I don't think that all books are fun to read if they are just about the everyday boring life it is nice to escape to another world. If you think that it is real then there is an issue but a book is a book. I have also heard a lot of religious exptremeists being against Twilight as well but they are more vocal about Harry Potter becasue a lot of younger kids read those in ooposed to Twilight who has a slightlu older fan base. It is all nonsense to me, and I will allow my kids to read both series, because they are entertaining and foster reading habits which are soooooo vital in young people.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• That I don't get. I love Harry Potter :)
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• ditto sailorwifenmom
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 4:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You shouldn't worry about them. They're trying to point out your faults in hopes that theirs will not be seen. I love the Harry Potter books and many fiction books that have to deal with magic and things of the like. Two of my favourite authors are Terry Brooks and Stephen King. I've been called many names for many reasons by many, as I say, pretend christians. I don't let it bother me. If they want to feed the stereotype of christians, you can't do a thing about it.

You should point out the verse that states to not look at the splinter in another's eye, but to look at the log in your own. They won't have anything to say to you after that.
    PyroDeerHunter

Answer by PyroDeerHunter at 4:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Neither series should be read as they are designed to lead the younger generation away from God. God has a plan but so does Satan.

Witches and magic are not make believe. Those things are used everyday on this earth by real witches and warlocks. There is no such thing as white and black magic.. its all dark stuff. Witchcraft is witchcraft and God hates it all. Twilight has people hooked on the wrong kind of love and it is not what God wants teens to learn. The bible teaches what pure love is. Vampires I have never heard of one on this earth. Evil is real and both are evil. :-)

Realize that why you think HP is ok and they think TL is ok.... you need to walk your walk and they walk theirs. It is best not to point out what they are doing wrong when you are doing the same thing. There is a name for that :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:07 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Do you realize that actually, in the Twilight Series, some of the many things that are discussed is that 1) he doesn't want her to be a vampire, because he's not sure that vampires, because of the nature of their existence, still have their souls, or if they are damned, and he doesn't want her to be condemned to that. Or that the reason they hunt animals instead of people is they do not believe in killing? Or that he refuses to have sex with her before they are married, because it's against the 10 commandments?

Hmmm - sounds to me like it's using a fictional situation (vampires that can read minds and sparkle in the sun, Native Americans that turn into wolves...) to teach and reinforce some pretty good moral values.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2010