How can I get my 8 week old to sleep at night?!

HELP!! My 8 week old wont sleep at night! I keep her awake as best I can durring the day but its no use! Everytime I put her down she screams! I'm running out of patience because my husband works nights so all day while he is sleeping I'm taking care of the 2 year old and the baby. Then all night while he is working I'm up with the baby. I'm just too tired and need help!

Mom_of_two_

Asked by Mom_of_two_ at 2:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When people say their baby is sleeping threw the night they mean usually about 4 hours at a time. My baby is 5 weeks old and she gets up when we go to bed LOL,, House gets' dark and silent. So I rock her in the dark and it seems to be helping her realize day and night. Babys are new to everything and new to us we have to keep our cool and take the time to learn what will work for all of us. If I am to tired to rock her I hold her in bed and go to sleep. I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old no sleeping in the day time and hubby works 14 hours so at night it needs to be silent or they boys' in the house are not to happy the next day. If a bath makes your baby sleepy try it just befor bed or if it wakes baby up try it about 2 hours before bed time Loation rubs wake baby up a bit as well and you can do that about all day long. Hope that you get some sleep Congrats on the new baby Blessings to you and your family..
    mamagator

Answer by mamagator at 8:36 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• aww hun I know your pain.....but your baby is still only 8 weeks....they don't have an entire night time sleep pattern. Some people get lucky and have baby's who do....but most don't sleep at night very well.....neither of mine did....it took 5 months for them to finally have a good night time sleep routine.....good luck
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Okay, so i can't really relate to you because my daughter slept through the night at two weeks... thanks to genetics... all i can say is try to condition your child to be worn out and do your best to keep the baby to the schedule... put your two year old to bed.. give the baby a nice warm long bath to wear him out... take him into a room that might be a little chilly but keep him wrapped up in the towel.. keep the lights dim ... splash on some thick lotion.. not really thick but enough to get every inch and give him a nice massage and rub it in really good... get the pj's on and swaddle him so he's nice and tight.. turn out the lights and give him a bottle or a boob and you know you can feed him in your bed since hubby isn't home.. if you breast feed then lay him next to you and whip it out and if not then prop the bottle against you... being next to you and having all the stimulation should put him out... good luck momma
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• She's only 8 weeks. Even doctors tell you that children wake up from every half an hour to every two hours at the latest. She's probably screaming because she's hungry and wants to be close. You have a two year old. You should have a good grasp on what to do anyways. Have you tried just having a chair next to the crib and softly humming or reading to her while your other child is sleeping? Or having soft music playing or some kind of white noise? Or swaddling her really tightly since she's still very new to the world and very much used to your womb? You should already know it's a trial and error with children. I know you're frustrated and exhausted, but the needs of your children come first before yours.

Also, try to get your husband to help whether he and you like it or not. He did half the work to make those children. He should be doing something to help you out and to be in their lives.
    PyroDeerHunter

Answer by PyroDeerHunter at 4:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i know how you feel my baby is 7 weeksl... my husband works night shifts too and he has a day job. if i'm lucky i get 4 hrs of sleep. just try to sleep when the baby sleeps and keep your 2 yr old entertain with a movie
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 4:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• New moms are so funny!! Why do you think that an eight week old baby should be sleeping through the night?

My daughter was eight months old the first time that she slept six solid hours; she was 14 months old when she started sleeping through the night on a regular basis.

I strongly recommend co-sleeping; you can easily doze/sleep while baby eats.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• First of all, even if your husband works nights he shouldn't be sleeping more than 8 hours during the day. He needs to spend some time during the day relieving you - talk to him and see what kind of schedule you can work out where he helps more.
    Keeping your baby up all day probably won't help him/her sleep at night. You need to work towards a schedule where she gets enough naps during the day so she's not too overtired at night. There's a really good article in the February issue of Parents magazine on babies sleeping if you have a chance to buy it. Have you tried putting her in the swing during the day, maybe for one short nap while your 2 year old naps so you can lay down on the couch next to her and take a nap yourself? I wouldn't recommend making the swing a habit for sleeping, but they can be great lifesavers!

Answer by missanc at 7:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• How do you get your baby to sleep through the night? Wait & wait & wait until they are older than 8wks LOL. But in all seriousness, at 8wks it is unlikely for babies to sleep through the night, especially on a regular basis. My DS is 3mnths & still doesn't sleep the whole night! If the sleep deprivation is getting bad enough that you really feel you can't handle it, have someone come help you with the kids during the day so you can get in a nap. I've learned to deal with sleeping 2-3 times in a day for about 2-3hrs at a time. Your body will adjust after awhile. I know it's tough (& it must be double tough with a 2yr old too) but right now you just have to suck it up & sleep every moment you get a chance & just know that they are only little for a short time...soon enough the whole nights sleep will come, no worries mama!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Welcome to the life of a newborn! It's hell, I know the feeling. My daughter did not sleep through until 5.5 mos. I do not however, recommend co-sleeping. Trust me, you do not want a 2 year old kid in your bed every night!!! Mommy and Daddy need their away time.
    Anonymous

• Whoa, a baby who slept through the night at 2 weeks! That's kind of scary. I'd worry she was comatose or something.
    Anonymous