I breastfed exclusively for 7 Mths. My son is now 9 Mths old and only nursed at night for a couple of weeks. He now doesn't ask for it and my right breast is extremely sore and leaking and huge!! Any advice on how to get some relief???

SusieD1174

Asked by SusieD1174 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pump it out manually? also warm compresses may give you some relief
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Your son is still an infant so he most likely won't be asking for it. Try nursing him before he takes naps or when he wakes up. Nurse as often as you can because that is the best way to help your breasts out. He is most likely going through a nursing strike. The biggest time for this is 9 and 10 months. Just keep offering your breast to him and letting him know that it is there when he needs it. They just become so independant at this time, but my daughter didn't have her nursing strike until 13 months.

Kellymom.com is great for breastfeeding questions you might have. Here is a link I found about nursing strikes: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html#strike . It says to make sure you pump to keep up your supply.
    Aeris07

Answer by Aeris07 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I would pump...And yes he would ask for it.. But sometimes they get to busy and thats not what is on there little minds, So I would suggest that you pump for relief and Also give him Breast milk in a sippy cup.. That way he still gets everything he needs..
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 9:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• stand in a hot shower, let it run over the breast and manuaaly express it. that should give you some relief.
    koolmom343

Answer by koolmom343 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• oh, I fell your pain! Take a bath and lay down so that your breast is completely under water, it will help to let some of the milk out. Beware... the more you let out, the more that will come back! noone told me that!
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2008