So pissed off at the oregon school system!

The more I am educating myself about the oregon school system- and most of the country- the more angry I get. I don't know why parents before me aren't fighting for the arts and athletics and play...

Having music and acting and imaginative play are a big part of a child's development...

Do you fight for the art and etc in your school system?

My daughter is only one but I know that I will have her covered and she will be very well rounded and educated even if the school doesn't provide it all... will your child?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 2:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am in Oregon. We have very little art and music in our school district. There are no athletics until high school. They killed them last year. They also fired 45 teachers and shaved several days off the school year. The average class size is 35-40 kids. After all of this our district is STILL $700,000 short for this year. It looks like they will be about $3 million short for next year. We are looking at going to a 4 day week and they are talking about firing another 40 teachers or cutting 20 days from next years school year.

Our property taxes are high for a mostly rural area. Our school district compounds its problems because it will not make its budget/spending public. The people have no clue what the money is being spent on.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Are you saying the Oregon schools don't have arts and athletics? That's pretty crazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Budget cuts are a big factor in cuts in many programs. Our own school system will have a 4.5 percent budget cut next year. That doesn't sound like a lot but it is in fact a $450,000 cut for our schools. You can not take away the basics from eduation although the arts are needed they are not a priority in education.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Unfortunately, voters often vote down property tax increases that include additional school funding.

In Chicago, there are many school options. We were fortunate to have our daughter in a school where parent volunteers taught art, and there was a half-time music teacher (all kids leave the school after sixth grade, and can read music and play the recorder).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Heck, out last school board president said he saw no reason to offer foreign languages in school at all. We are talking k-12. The parents had a fit. Unfortunately, the parents were also more supportive of the football team (which only benefits a few) than any music and arts programs (which can benefit all).
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• most schools fight hard not to lose these things. imo, it is far more important for our schools to focus on the basics.. are you aware of the unemployment rates these days? do you understand that we still "import" many engineers? well rounded is great, but we can not fall further behind in the math and sciences.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Yet look at all the money we throw at the system.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Arts and athletics are important because they help build charactar and leadership skills.

They need to cut out all the government mandated "JUNK" then there will be more time AND MONEY for math and sciences.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:58 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• well in Utah high school has athletics but they are so expensive to play..elementary is what worries me I can't tell ya how unimaginative my little 7 yr. old boy is due to no arts and crafts the only art he has brought home this year a christmas ornament made from poster board and puzzle peices how is that imaginative? or even artistic?? it looks like it took 5 seconds...I think education should come before everything else it's important for our kids future and survival a number of children now days have no desire to go to college,sing,play in a band it's insane they only have atletics 1 day a week well with all the breaded fattening foods they feed the kids they need that exercise to burn some of it off I'm sorry maybe this is the reason there is so much child obesity nowadays!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I am in Iowa my sons district has athletics from Elementary to High School. They have art, music and PE teachers. Our district spends less than many do on our kids but does more with those dollars. We pay a bit higher in property taxes since we are a smaller community but nothing the people cannot afford. It is not perfect here but our kids here recieve a well rounded education. So glad we left the Left Coast.
    Anonymous