How can I get my son to sleep through the night?

I have an 8 month old son who still wakes up every 3-4 hours for a bottle :-/ How can I get him through sleep through the night without waking up.

babyaidensmommy

Asked by babyaidensmommy at 4:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are lots of ways to help encourage your baby to sleep right through like not exciting him too much before he goes to bed. See here for more http://www.womenrepublic.co.uk/family_pregnancy/sleep/ But really some babies just don't sleep right through, indeed most don't. Four hours isn't too bad for an eight month baby, and i'm sure he will soon start sleeping for longer. Restless nights are just one of those things that parents need to put up with.

amy_two

Answer by amy_two at 6:45 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Stop feeding him at night. The more you feed him at night, the less hungry he is during the day, so the less he eats, so the more he's going to wake up at night because he's hungry. It's a vicious cycle.

Answer by missanc at 7:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I am assuming your baby gets baby food during they day. (Just so you understand my starting point in thinking.) I would try feeding cereal before bed. If you already do this, then I'm stuck. I started feeding cereal on my doctor's advice when my baby started sleeping through the night, then stopped and woke up starving. The cereal gave him just enough extra in his stomach to sleep through. Good luck!
    puppyraiser8

Answer by puppyraiser8 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution." But know that if he sleeps five hours, he's sleeping through the night. Dusk to dawn often doens't happen in the first year, and most of what we parents do only succeeds in making us feel that we're doing something. Sleeping longer is something they have to grow into.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• @puppyraiser8: Im going to try that. Hopefully it works, his pediatrician told me to just give him water before bed & a snack, to not give him a bottle but he didnt like that too much, he loves the baby cereal, so hopefully that can be the solution, thank you.
    babyaidensmommy

Answer by babyaidensmommy at 7:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2010