Do you really think God is hateful?

In my mind I don't think he is, but there are those who believe God will punish the sinners and those who are against him. If that is true, that really isn't a good way to get people to turn towards him is it? I don't think he is as merciless as some people claim him to be, but that's just me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• He hates SIN period.
    He is just and all loving.
    He is merciful and gracious.
    Everyone has a choice but He cannot allow SIN to enter into Heaven. Unrepentant sin, unbelief being the unforgivable one.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Hateful no, a loving parent yes. If you had an older child who was doing things that disrupted your house, et al drugs, drinking, staying out past curfew, just to name a few things. Would you allow them to stay in your house? No as a loving parent you would try to get them the help they needed. After all else has failed you would kick them out just to try to protect the rest of your children. Knowing that no matter what you did they would not change. At this point they need to hit rock bottom to see the errors of their ways. Now if they came back fully repentive you would accept them with open arms.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• He hates SIN period.
    He is just and all loving.
    He is merciful and gracious

These statements are direct contradictions of each other.

and I think his followers corrupt what any god would really be like that. I don't believe any kind of deity would be hateful as followers of god make him out to be.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• OP- if the CHristian God is true, and his words were written by man to create the bible.. then I would have to say he seems like a jealous child playing a board game. Follow me or you all shall parish...kinda makes you wonder what kind of love he's really got for you. OR if it's just a one sided love, from our planets end.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Follow me or you all shall parish

Don't you think that sounds reasonable considering he made us and wanted and wants us all to live permanently fulfilling and safe lives. No more paedophiles, murderers, theives, slanderers, maliciousness of all kinds and a safe earth (no earthquakes, starvation or wars).
    UKJWMamaO5

Answer by UKJWMamaO5 at 7:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• 'he seems like a jealous child playing a board game.'

I agree with hazeldove...

I think he also sounds depressed, spiteful, tyrannical, angry and selfish which are human feelings and attributes; something a perfect supreme being would never feel or exhibit.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:31 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• GOD doesn't HATE, period!!! We hate. God doesn't judge. We judge. God doesn't pick and choose who to love. We do. GOD only LOVES US!! Everything else is a human emotion that does not exist with GOD. When we choose LOVE, we experience GOD. That's really all there is to it.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I always thought we learned forgiveness from God not hate.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 10:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The story of Noah is a classic example of his 'mercy'. Mercy for Noah and some animals, death to the entire rest of the world. Yeah, I'm feeling his love.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• jenettyshome... GOD DOESN'T JUDGE? I thought that's what he was going to do when you die- judge you. As for him picking and choosing- there are many instances in the Bible where it speaks of God picking and choosing people for whatever reason that may be- including who is special to him. I understand the word God is synonymous with love in your eyes, but I and others just don't see it that way.

I don't believe in teaching love through pain, hurt, trials and tests. I don't think one has to experience bad in order to understand good and I don't think a loving parent would sit by and let the ones he loves suffers in order to teach them a lesson. I also don't think I am a lowly creature who's too stupid to fathom love and needs to be beat down in order to find it. Where you see love in the God of the Bible, I see nothing but torture... twisted and presented as 'love'.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2010