How can I get my daughter to eat better?

My 11 year old is overweight and is not a very healthy eater. She loves her carbs (breads, pastas, Goldfish!!), and she will not eat any veggie, except for green beans (a few). My husband says she is headed for disaster meaning diabetes, heart problems later in life if she does not change her ways. I have tried multiple times to talk to her about this, but she only gets angry or cries. He says she needs to be scared into becoming a healthier eater meaning a Dr. should sit down with her and give her the lowdown on her habits and their potential outcome on her health. I make sure I do not buy sweets, cookies cakes, etc. so as not to tempt her, but, she still finds ways, (school). I've also seen where she will secretly eat in her bedroom or in another room alone. She loves fruit so I try to buy a lot of fruit. I have a son who is 13 and is normal weight but also makes bad choices. Go figure!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• It sounds like she has an emotional dependence on food if she feels the need to hide and sneak it. Try putting her in counseling to get to the root of the issue. Making her feel ashamed will only make it worse. Having her talk to her doctor about the hazards of being overweight is a good idea. Addiction to food becomes a vicious cycle. They eat because they're depressed. They get depressed because they're overweight, and it goes around and around until it's completely out of hand. It's good that you have noticed it now, when it can be fixed, rather than going into denial and letting her grow up to be 500 pounds and bed-ridden. Good luck.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:30 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It sounds like she is developing an eating disorder. Please get her professional help

Answer by rkoloms at 10:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My daughters Naudya and Natasha have a picky eating disease. They just take medication daily or when they eat stuff they don't like.
    NatiMarti

Answer by NatiMarti at 2:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2010