Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it FAIR that the Unions now will not have to pay the Cadillac Tax?

Unions had objected strongly to the proposed tax on high-value insurance policies (pertaining to the Health Care Bill), fearing it would hurt their members, and they won several concessions from the administration. Under the deal, if it becomes law, union workers will be shielded from the 40 percent tax for five years -- until 2018. The threshold for the tax also was raised so that it will kick in for plans worth $24,000 instead of $23,000. And dental and vision coverage will not count toward that threshold.

But what about everybody else?

Answer Question
 
pvtjokerus

Asked by pvtjokerus at 7:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 9 (308 Credits)
Answers (17)
  • AND you will be paying their share!
    pvtjokerus

    Answer by pvtjokerus at 7:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • Of course it's not fair. But that's the cost of HOPE and CHANGE!!!

    Let's hope Democrats grow a spine and Republicans such as Scott Brown defeat this travesty of a health plan, and work on REAL reform!!!
    LoriKeet

    Answer by LoriKeet at 8:01 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • I don't think it's going to pass anyway.
    Carpy

    Answer by Carpy at 8:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • Obama is talking about 'scaling back' the bill...it would be nice to see some real compromise and working together on a decent bill that doesnt tax us for years before it even takes effect (taxation without representation)..a bill we can all agree on which wont ever be one that brings on a government take over (so some need to stop dreaming)...but lets the free market reign..and opens up CHOICES way more by alotting insurance companies to sell across state lines which would make them have to comepte more too...making alot more affordable for folks..ditch the pork..special interest bs...ditch the need to gain more control over Americans lives...ditch the mandate.That imo would be a great start and would go over MUCH better with WAY more Americans ..I wont hold my breath
    tnmomofive

    Answer by tnmomofive at 9:34 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • Fair? LIberals are only fair to those who fund and promote their self serving agenda. I heard on NPR the other day around 14% of tax paying Americans belong to a union(2000 US Census). But of those 14% over 80% are registered Democrats. Soooooooooooooo, (if it really is 14%)~ What about the other 86% of the American workforce. Democrats~How does catering to the 14% promote the overall interest in the US worklforce? Ohhh yea, it doesn't. It promotes the liberal agenda not the United States of America.
    grlygrlz2

    Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • Exactly grly..and thats all they give a shit about...and some go BAAA BAA because hey its their same ideals so whatever it takes..
    tnmomofive

    Answer by tnmomofive at 9:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • No, not fair at all. Also not fair that certain states are exempt from expenses that the rest of the states will have to pay.
    mancosmomma

    Answer by mancosmomma at 9:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • No it's not fair but I don't think that will be a problem now. This healthcare bill as it is written is DEAD. The bribes and favors given was a major reason Coakly didn't get elected.
    itsmesteph11

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • It won't pass anyway.

    That's the exact reason why people collectively bargain. Our government does nothing. But if you hire people to go to DC for you, they'll do stuff for you. Lobbyists make the laws. Not the politicians.

    Any lobbyist initiative is "unfair" unless you are part of that lobby.
    ecodani

    Answer by ecodani at 10:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • If it DID pass, here is how fair it would be for some people in my town.

    The school district has a cadillac plan for its employees.

    The Teachers Union makes all teachers exempt. The bus drivers, custodians, teachers aides, cafeteria workers, secretaries, nurses and such WILL pay the tax. Nice huh.
    yourspecialkid

    Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.