At what age can I give my baby yogurt?

He's 7 months old. He's got 2 teeth..he crawls on all 4's...he's almost walking...he's got a large appetite...I was wondering when I could give him yogurt...and what kinds of yogurt are good, and what kinds to stay away from... thanks in advance.

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try baby food first.
    Yogurt is a dairy you shouldnt start dairy til after 1
    Yogurt has lots of different sugars and stuff as well. Not really great for babies

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• He's on baby food. Obviously he'd already be on baby food...he's 7 months old. And I know about th dairy and such...but my sister gives her daughter the yo baby yogurt and she's 10 months old...

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Yeah, I can't give you a specific age, but I know that dairy is okay before they are a year old. My son had cheese well before he turned 1...

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatrics says yogurt can be introduced as early as six months. Why? The cultures in yogurt decrease the lactose and help break down the hard-to-digest milk proteins. This is why babies can eat yogurt, but not drink milk, before one year.

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The yo baby my son loved it

Answer by kadmomma at 9:14 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I bought the Yo Baby yogurt for my 8 month old yesterday and she loves it! It's okay to give the Yo Baby yogurt from six months on. I would only trust that kind because it is specially formulated for babies and I don't know if the other yogurt is safe for babies.

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• When I was looking up yogurt & babies for a friend (baby was 8months with really bad thrush) I found that most studies say it is safe by 6months but should be avoided until about 8-9months if possible so you can give the digestive system a little bit longer to develop. But techincally it is safe by 7months, just don't go all crazy with the kiddy yogurts or ones with chunks of fruit (definitely avoid ones with any wheat/nut products for allergy reasons). Plain is best & give it a few small tries before you feed a meal size to make sure your LO has no reactions to it.

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You can make your own yogurt at home and even use breast milk. Williams Sonoma sells a counter top yogurt maker.

Goats milk yogurt is easier to digest than cows milk yogurt. Goats milk is apparently more similar to human milk than is cow milk. It's usually sold as "Greek" yogurt. It's very thick. You can mix in pureed fruit. Most all grocery stores have it. LOVE it.

Answer by ecodani at 9:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• No OP it is not "obvious" that he is on baby food you did NOT say that. MANY moms DONT start baby food til later so no need to be freakin snippy. You asked for advice I gave you my opinion. So chill, If you dont want advice then DONT ask.

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Dairy is an allergy trigger food and should not be given to a child under the age of one year!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2010