What's for dinner? Looking for some southern recipes. Can you help?

Native North Carolina husband craving Thanksgiving dinner EVERY night of the week - but come on girls...we're mom's! If anyone has any yummy southern dinner recipes, please respond.

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 9:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Do you know how to fry chicken? I make a really good CRISPY fried boneless skinless chicken breast. PM me if you'd like my recipe.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 9:05 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I am from south alabama. My favorite southern food is chicken and dumplings, fried okra, and cornbread. Fried Chicken is also a good southern favorite.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Chicken fried steak with country gravy & cornbread. Or if you want a nice southern breakfast (which you can eat for dinner too, there is no law against it LOL) then have biscuits & gravy with thick sausage gravy. Or mix the two, I saw on the Travel Channel a dish that was chicken fried steak on a biscuit covered in country sausage gravy.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Thansk Wannabe - after reading that I am starving! Have you ever seen Paula Deen make a hamburger with and egg, bacon and cheese adn use a Krispy Kreme Donuts for the bun? Yikes!

I am from Georgia and we always had Tuna Cassarole with a cheese and potato chip topping - Yum (No wonder I was a fat kid....)
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Does he like collard greens? Winter greens are the best. I boil a large pot of water with tons of seasonings & 3-4 ham hocks. Then add greens after cutting out main stem (throw out), slicing into smaller pieces and rinsing in cold water to remove grit. (I fill the 1/3 of the sink with water, agitate leaves, strain & put into pot. If there's a lot of sand, empty sink for the next batch) I boil until soft 2-3 hours but some don't like them as mushy. Pick the hock meat off & put back into pot. Serve hot or with vinegar if requested.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I haven't seen Paula Deen make that, but apparently there is a restuarant somewhere that makes a burger with a krispy kreme donut as a bun...that is just insane!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:33 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Meat loaf and mashed potatoes

Chili Pie

Chicken Pot Pie

Vegetable Beef Soup

Cabbage Beef Soup

Breakfast Casserole

Stuffed Peppers

Cabbage Rolls

I would be happy to share any of the recipies that sound appealing to you. Or anybody else for that matter. Happy cooking!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 10:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• salisbury steaks w/ mushroom gravy
    baked potato pork chop augratin
    chicken rice soup
    bbq ribs or chicken
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Hey Casey - I want Chili Pie! I want Bfast Casserole!
    Ok so my DH is a Chef so freekin what you think he EVER cooks at home or even brings home something that he has cooked? NOT. The only thing in our fridge is CONDIMENTS! LOL
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 11:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• cabbage cassererole...very easy....all you need is cabbage, velveta, cream of mushroom soup, crackers...and butter
    preheat oven to about 350
    get a large bag of the mixed cabbage and boil it,, strain..
    mix the can of soup with cabbage
    pour into a casserole dish
    cover completely with slices of velveta
    melt 2 tbs of butter in microwave
    crush your crackers..(you need 1 pack of saltines..crush before you open)
    mix crackers in butter for topping..top over the cheese
    bake for 30 minutes
    and enjoy
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 21, 2010