Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you do other than dump a guy who was physically abusive to you,

would you hit back.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (17)
  • Of course I would hit back, but thats just me. I dont' get scared I get pissed. I would also call the police and have him arrested and get a restraining order

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • Hitting back can get you killed. I'd see to it that he was arrested and I'd press charges against him.

    Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • Nope. I wouldn't because that would likely set him into a rage and men are physically stronger so he could kill me. I would seek help and leave him. Physical, mental, emotional, sexual abuse are all deal breakers for me. YOU deserve better!

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • No I wouldn't hit back. That just pisses them off more and then the fight is really on. I'd call the police and have him arrested. If police show up and you have hit back they can arrest you as well and your kids go into the system

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • No I would not hit back. That would tick them off more. Call the police.

    Answer by Raeann11 at 9:32 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • Hitting back is just as "abusive" as him hitting you. Both should be arrested for assault. just leave

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • No. I knocked my abuser's teeth out and had him arrested. The Judge, unfortunately, dropped my assault charges against him because of it! Said it appears to have been a "lovers quarrel." Seems our court system doesn't see you as a "true" vicitm if you hit back and you'd be prosecuted, if you sought stronger measures. Meanwhile, I should caution you as my beatings got worse until my charges were finally upgraded from misdemeanors to felonies. You are worthy of love and respect and have no recourse but to leave someone who is physically, verbally, mentally, spiritually abusive and have the man arrested. Please educate yourself on the domestic violence cycles. Continuing to stay with such a man is not healthy for you or your children.


    Answer by Ewadun at 9:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • Apparently when you go to court if you hit back you are just as guilty as he is, at least with the judge that handled my case that was the consensus. Don't hit back, but make sure you press charges against the bastard and don't let up!

    Answer by Geminus at 9:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • call 911

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • what do you do if they then verbally abuse you, when you have got rid of them and they psycologically abuse your children by being mean to them either by not wanting to see them and making excuses that you know are to wind you up, [as their mum] and boasting to your kids how their new kids with someone else has this and that, and been on an aeroplane, while they havent, and even ignoring one of your kids while showing affection to your others.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.