Socialism or free speech?

one of my FB friends posted a song by Diamond Rio that our local radio station refuses to play because it is full of God references as far as to swearing on the bible,In God We Trust on our money etc.I feel that this song can be offensive to those,like me,who don't care to have religion shoved down our throats at every turn.I feel the station had every right to not play it.Someone posted that it was Socialism that they weren't playing it.i explained that radio is sponsored by local business,and without said sponsorship,radio will have to go the way of sirius radio,and we'll have to pay.My stance is that God and religion needs to be personal,not plastered everywhere we go.Not everyone believe exactly the same.Comments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Many things in the media are censored, if you're going to allow songs about god to be played then you have to allow songs denouncing god to be played as well & that'll just set everybody's hair on fire!!! If its a contemporary station then they have to play what their sponsers agree w/. Free speech gets thrown around too much in this country, just bc you have an opinion doesn't mean you need to open your mouth & let the nastiness inside of you spill forth to pollute everyone around you (Pat Robertson). While I believe wholly in the concept of free speech the way its put into practice many times oppresses someone else. Free speech is supposed to be about not letting the government control what's in the media, or the voice of an oppresed group of people crying out for equality. I've said for years opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one, I just wish more ppl would wear pants.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• ps I agree, tired of having a religion I don't believe in shoved down my throat all the time.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Socialism is an economic system. In Socialism, the government regulates certain resources and means of production in order to bridge the gap between the wealthy and the poor. Socialism is concerned with the distribution of wealth.

Freedom of expression and association is a civil right. Any government can choose to protect that civil right regardless of the economic system of the nation.

That person is misunderstood.

Private individuals have the right to chose how they run their businesses in our current blended economic structure: capitalism tempered by socialist initiatives. If I don't want to sell vanilla scones at my bakery, it's not an infringement on someone's civil rights. It's a business decision. Go elsewhere and buy them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:58 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• OP-Yes yes yes ladies! This is what I tried to tell this guy! We're having a crazy discussion as we speak! He's flipping out saying the government is keeping God from us! Crazy!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If the station doesn't want to play it that is fine. If a station wants to that is fine as well. Most music out there is secular and not religious and those of us with faith hear it and usually don't whine about it. So I find it amusing when Atheists get upset over one song about God at a gym or store. lol Free speech is just free speech for all not just those who are non religious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It isn't socialism.

I do think the panties in a twist is funny though. I don't care for music that is oversexed or violent in nature. My solution is to not listen to it...instead of throwing a fit about it. The non-religious just don't seem to be able to deal with things very well.

The station does have the right to play what they want. The listeners have a right to change the channel if they hear or don't hear what they want. The advertisers have the right to take their business elsewhere as well.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2010