What makes a realty agency "good"?

We will be moving soon and I will be going to find a house before we actually move. Being the slightly controlling person I am, I want to have some order and planning on my trip. I want to contact a reality agency and set up a schedule to view houses before I'm there. I have already made a list of housing requirements that I must have and preferences that I can go wihtout if they are either over priced or not available. I know what I'm looking for in a house, just not sure where to go to find it.

What makes a reality "good" or "bad"? Does it matter?

Crystal1124

Asked by Crystal1124 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• 1. See if you can get a recommendation from someone who lives in the area. There may be plenty of cafemoms who know someone there.
    2. Ask the realty company how many homes they have sold in your price range in the last 12 months. If they are selling a lot of homes in your price range in the area, they are extremely familiar with your property type and comps.
    3. Would it help you to work with a mom like you? Ask for one.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• one that will not only take you to houses that you have researched, but one that will continue to send you emails of ones that match or fit your desires and needs. one that will compare and contrast them for you. one that is not a pain in the butt but also relentless in helping you find the house you plan to make a home. your best bet is to meet with someone, don't sign anything on the first meeting, as they will probably want you to sign a consumer disclosure, and ask them as many questions as you can think of to get a good read on them. if they don't seem like someone you can work with, find another. remember that you finding a house gives them a paycheck, so in most cases they are going to do what it takes to help a serious buyer close on a home.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:11 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Great customer service is key. You want a realtor that will go to bat for you!!! So definitely do your research!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Find someone in the area & get a couple of recommendations. Don't fall for the million dollar club members or whatever special things they have by their names. Find someone you have a good rappor with & who listens to you. If they keep showing you homes that are at or a little above your maximum price, ask to stick to the middle of your range or find another agent. Better yet, cut your max bid by about 10K because most agents will try to show you homes at the top of your budget.

We bought our house directly from the seller. I don't know anyone else's experience, but we found ours in the local paper, called the seller, bought it using a $25 kit from Office Depot. The only thing we needed was an agent at the bank we financed it through and a real estate lawyer to file the paperwork.
    Mary0791

Answer by Mary0791 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2010