39 weeks 3 days. Contractions every 4-6 minutes. When should I go?

I started having contractions early this morning and spotting. I saw my dr. yesterday and no dilating and 0 effacement, plus my cervix was still high. I've been leaking a ton of fluid that is now blood tinged in addition to the spotting. My contractions are about 4-6 min apart consistently for three hours, but they started out only 30 sec long. Now it's about 45 seconds. Should I go pretty soon? I don't want to go to early or obviously too late. My sister labored for 16 hours at the hospital. Also is it possible to have this many contractions without getting dilated at all?

BABYJANUARY2010

Asked by BABYJANUARY2010 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'd call your ob and tell them you are on your way to the hospital
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• GO!!! better safe than sorry. Once your water breaks your time is limited. Your water breaking doesnt have to be a huge flood!! call your OB and GO GL and CONGRATS!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Call leighbor & delivery, tell them this and they'll tell you what to do. My guess = Happy Birthday, Baby!
    DAjZeZnLE

Answer by DAjZeZnLE at 10:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• personally, i would wait. i would also prefer to labor at home as long as possible. i would wait until getting on the computer was the last thing from my mind. gl!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i was told to wait till my contractions are 60 secoonds long and come about every 2-4 min. for atleast 1 hour. that way i am not in the hospital for ever. but if you live kinda far from the hospital then i would go. first call your doctor to let them know and they will usually call the L&D for you to let them know. sounds like you will have your little one soon. good luck and congrats
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 10:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• also yes it is possible to have contractions without dialating usually you will dialate to atleast 3-4 cm though and then sometimes it can stop. which will make your labor last longer, but even if your not dialating quickly its still can be good to get checked out cause sometimes during contractions your babys heart rate can increase or decrease. if you are not dialating quickly but have that many contractions at the hospital they will usually give you cervidil (not sure if i spelled right) to help your cervix along
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 11:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Get in the tub and see if the contractions stop. It's probably prodromal labor.

Hopefully you didn't go to the hospital already.. you're HOPEFULLY likely to get sent home ..

I hope they don't induce you with cervidil - this tends to make uteruses and babies very unhappy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2010