Sugar/sugar substitutes

I am going to be starting a diet/life style change. We had been using a lot of artificial sweetners but stopped because well the unknown side effects of them is a bit scary. So we started using sugar more. We are big tea drinkers and while we don't use a lot of sugar, I am concerned about the amount of wasted calories I'm taking in with sugar.
So my question is: Is there a better alternative to sugar that would be low calorie/no calorie but doesn't have unknown side effects?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 10:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Health

• honey is a great way to sweeten drinks naturally
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Stevia... available pretty widely (I found a box of packets at Walmart a while back).

I was getting frequent migraines drinking sugar-free drinks (store brand Crystal Light)... the only thing I ever consumed with aspartame... the migraines were getting continually worse and magically disappeared when I stopped buying those drinks... BAD STUFF!
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• figaro8895, does Stevia taste different from sugar? I know it's suppose to be sweeter than regular table sugar but I've never tried it because the price is so much higher than other sweetners.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 10:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I was told that between sugar sub and real sugar just to use sugar. No chemicals that way. I am pre-prediabetic (IR) and was told by both my doctor and a nutricialist that even artifical sweetners are treated the same as sugari n the body cause our bodies don't distringuish the difference. Sugar only has like 14 calories a teaspoon so as long as you use it moderately if doesn't really add up.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Check out this chart on sugar and sugar subs. Print it. It's very very easy to understand and help you choose.

http://www.organiclifestylemagazine.com/blog/healthy-sugar-alternatives.php

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Agave syrup might work well for you. It is very sweet, and low GI

Answer by rkoloms at 11:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• ecodani, Thank you for that link. It does have a lot of really good info in it.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 12:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• rkoloms, can I find that in any grocery store or do I need to visit a specialty store?
    Cafe Jenn

• I only use a packet of splenda in my one cup of coffee in the morning, other than that I don't add sugar or sugar substitutes to anything I eat. Go back to the sugar in the tea but slowly add less and less until it's plain. I grew up on plain ice tea and LOVE it. I drink that or ice water with lemon juice for flavor and I don't miss sugar or the sugar substitutes. Just for the record, I am a type 2 diabetic.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2010