Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it hard to transfer your state assistance to a different state?

I might be moving to a different state soon. I am currently get help for food, health care, and daycare. I don't want to lose my benefits when I move to a different state because I am pregnant so I need the health care and food. Will I have to start all over when I move to a different state? Can my county worker just transfer my case over to someone without me losing and benefits?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • Income requirements vary from state to state, if you know where you might be moving you might want to research it NOW!! I doubt you would lose benefits being that you are expecting, but it is possible

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • Income requirements and benefits change state to state. You would have to inquire about benefits in the state you are moving to.

    Answer by missanc at 10:59 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • if u cant afford food, daycare, or healthcare-how can u afford to move? another state? maybe u should just stay where u are, and when u are financially stable, move.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • No. I had no problems transferring my assistance to another state. Again, I agree with most of the posters above. You should research the state you're considering moving to and how long before the assistance will go into effect. Their might also be the issue of proving residency before getting assistance.

    Answer by Ewadun at 11:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • You can't transfer STATE assistance across state lines. You'll have to close in the old state and re-apply in the new state.

    Answer by KLBrown at 12:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • Just go reapply in the new state and they will get the information they need from the previous state.

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • That is illegal Sweetie Pie. You cannot get benefits from a state unless you are actually living there..

    and they all ask why we dislike questions from this type of person....

    I wonder... shaking my head.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • YOu need to live there first THEN apply. NO you cant "transfer" benefits.
    If you cant afford anything then why are you moving out of state AND having another baby?

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • op here: because I want to lady! what's it to ya?

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.