How do I get my 4 month old to sleep threw the night, his bed time is around 7 pm?

He wakes up at least three times a night.

hmf122

Asked by hmf122 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• HE IS 4 MONTHS OLD, HES GOING TO. AND MAYBE PUT HIM TO BED LATER
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• At this age they are going to wake up a few times during the night.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• There is not much you can do to get a baby to sleep through the night. My son will be 6 months on Sunday and is still up every 1.5 hours to nurse. My older son was 11 months before he slept through the night. Sleeping through the night is 7-8 hours at one time so depending on when he is waking it might be considered through the night.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 10:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Do you put him down to sleep awake? If he learns to soothe himself to sleep without nursing or rocking, then it's more likely that when he wakes up in the night (as we all do) that he will go back to sleep on his own without needing assistance. If you are feeding him at night you need to cut down on the amount - the more babies eat at night, the less hungry they are during the day so they less they eat, the hungrier they are at night because they haven't eaten enough during the day.
    Establish a night time routine which can include a bath, a bottle or nursing session, read a book while you cuddle, sing a song and then bedtime. Reduce night time feedings, and make night time as boring as possible - no talking, no singing, no lights, etc. Just because he's 4 months old doesn't mean he'll wake at night - all 4 of my kids were sleeping 8 or more hours by 2 months.

Answer by missanc at 10:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Babies will sleep thru the night when THEY are ready and there is nothing you can do to make them sleep thru the night. Even when they do start to sleep thru the night there will still be nights when they wake up a few times.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I have a seven month old and he has a very touchy tummy which means i have to really watch what goes into him, so with alot of testing different foods finally food the right ones and he was able to sleep for 7 striaght hours. Now he is teething and the no sleep has started again, its kinda like having a new born all over again. So to say as i've been told as soon as you think there is no way you will be able to deal with the no sleep or a cranky child , they will change and as soon as you think everything could never be better once again your child will change, so far thats just how my little man works lol
    SHANDA-21

Answer by SHANDA-21 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I didn't actually PUT my 4mo old to bed until 10-1030 and she'd sleep through until 6. I would try to keep her up for 4 hours straight right before and do the dinner/bath thing... read her books and rock her for a while. But my dd would sleep 6 hours during the night when she was 2 mos old so she was pretty used to it.

I would def. try a later bedtime, bath before bed... turn the lights down and no stimulation besides a soft lullaby cd maybe. During the day keep him stimulated and active.... maybe that will help! He is still a baby and will still make some of the schedule, but you can have an influence! GL!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• What worked for me is a routine. Get up, get moving. We went out pretty much everyday in the am, then home for lunch and a short nap. Afternoons was play time at home and back out for a walk or just some fresh air. After dinner, we shift gears and turn down the lights-bath time, cuddles, books and off to bed. They slept great, eat great. Now they are teens and tweens and not as much fun! ;(
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• This is only solved by time, If he is not sleeping through the night by his second birthday, ask your question again

Answer by rkoloms at 11:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Are you expecting him to sleep 11 hours? Then it ain't happening. If you put him to bed at 7, he will NEED to wake up before 6, sorry!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2010