Is it wrong my for me to send 5 year old daughter to bible class and camp?

My daughter goes to bible class once a month. During the summer she attends bible camp (which is next door to our home) for 1 week, 6-8pm. She absolutely loves it. She doesn't go by force but because she really does like it and begged to go.
I have no issues with this and believe it is good for her...BUT her father is having some serious problems with the fact that I am trying to brain wash her by letting her go to bible class and camp. Any advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It's not brainwashing her. It's passing on the knowledge of your faith and as she gets older, she will decide what to do with that. Bible class and camp are a lot of fun. I have many fond memories of it from when I was a child, and I don't resent my mom for sending me. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If she wants to go, let her go!! Just keep in mind that when she gets older she may choose to change her beliefs and not go anymore. Tell the father one of the main reasons she wants to go- her friends!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Maybe you could send her to a secular camp one year and see if it's the camp experience or the religion she's getting more out of.
    Anonymous

• Kids need guidance and positive experiences. I think at the age of 5,if the only thing your dd is picking up is to be kind and good is awsome. I am not sure how her father could be opposed to that. I think he is overeacting. At 5,they don't retain that much anyway. It sounds like you and your h really need to have a serious talk about how you want to teach your child values etc. GL
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 10:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Would you allow her to go to another religion's camp? Or are you just encouraging her to go because you only want her to learn about the Bible? I think that may be the big question to ask. I don't think it's brainwashing her necessarily, but please be open to her exploring other avenues as she grows.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Is sending her to school brainwashing her? I don't understand his logic - they make the Bible classes and camps fun for the kids. If she happens to pick up some knowledge about the Bible as well it's not going to hurt her, just make her more knowledgeable.

Answer by missanc at 10:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Kids like to do stuff with other kids. Any activity they enjoy that is not physically dangerous to them is okay. Dad is being harsh.

I do think it is fair, since the parents aren't on the same page religiously speaking, to invite her to learn about other faiths. There are very cool books for kids of all ages about Jewish holidays. I'm sure you could even teach her about how non-Christians celebrated holidays before Jesus. Before Easter there was Oestre and that festival used eggs too. It's fun.

If she's not having fun, then that's a problem. She's 5. He needs to lighten up.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i dont see anything wrong with it. your doing your job.

Proverbs 22:6 (King James Version)

6Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Before you chose to have a child, you and the father should have discussed, and found common ground on, religion, discipline, education, etc. You need to abide by your agreement...

Answer by rkoloms at 11:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• ABSOUTLY you are RIGHT, you are a parent you are suppose to have your child socialize and be with other children and learn about religion, it is not brain washing when it is the family belifs. My kids go to church a minium of 3 times a week. sunday wed, friday
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2010