water softner?

Hey moms,

We just moved into a house that has "hard water." We've never had to deal with this before so I'm wondering if someone who has a water softner in their house can tell me about them.....what kind of maintenance do they require? Do they really help or do you think you could do without one? What are some issues you've had with them? Etc.....THANKS!

l-momoftwo

Asked by l-momoftwo at 10:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• nope, they don't require maintence, you just have to make sure there is water softner salt in there at all times. you do NOT want to not have one, you will get rust stains on your clothes from the washer and spots/film on your dishes. Not to mention it would dry your skin out.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You need it if you plan to shower in that water. You just keep the pellets in softener. Make DH do it.

I would get a quality water filter for drinking and cooking water though. It tastes gross to me. Both hard and softened water. MIL has had trouble with her salt levels in her blood that she claims is bc of the softener. (I see diet issues as well.)

A reverse osmosis filter will pull out all the minerals and salts and crap. Brita and Pur won't. You can buy a small under-the-sink filter system for drinking for pretty cheap now.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• some require alot of maintanence!! We have had a WATERBOSS for 16 years now and there is no fitler to change, it works great it costs less than 400$ at Menard's and it doesn't ltake up much space. we only use the potassium cloride not the regular salt in it too. It doesn't use that much, maybe a bag a month but much better than salt!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I thought everyone had hard water til they put a softener in...you certainly don't drink soft water anyway! We have one. I grew up with one. If it's quality, then all you need to do is keep softener salt in it. They do need replacing every so often (like 10-20 years), they can have problems, but eh, they're pretty low maintenance if you take care of it. We don't have ours hooked up, as it's really old and we'd go through 6 bags of salt in a week. Yep, we use normal water (hard water) for laundry, dishes, bathing, all of it. Doesn't bother us any. My laundry is fine, our skin & hair are fine. I just get water spots on my dishes sometimes, but it doesn't bother me. With 4 little kids we use mostly plastic ware anyway ;).
    Anonymous