Dance or Soccer?

For a 3 year old girl who is equal parts TomBoy and Princess. I don't want to overload her and she's already going to be doing swim lessons twice a week. I really think she would like both equally. How do you choose?

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 10:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If your dd is the type of kid that can do dance class at age three then I say have her start now. My dd is almost 10. She has always wanted to be ballerina. We tried at age 4, she just could not (and would not) give it the attention she needed to(she has ADHD). She said she was cold,they allow no sweat shirts over leos~whatever. We stopped and between age 5 and up till just five months ago I had to put w/all the complaining about wanting to take dance. I am glad to report that she is doing great BUT because most girls start out at 3,4 and 5 all the other girls her age are more advanced. There are only two other girls in her class and they are all playing "catch up" w/the other girls their age. I feel a bit bad for her but she is gifted in this area so I have doubt she will get there. I think if dance is something that you thik will be in her future,gymnastics,cheer any of that the sooner the better. GL;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 11:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I aways went by what my child would want to do the most. My oldest loves to dance to music. She also loved to watch my sister at dance preformances and tryed to copy her moves. So she is in dance. Our yongest loves to run around the house. So I would put her in something like soccor.

Just pay attention what she likes to do the most and talk to her about what she thinks she maylike.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Ask her which she would rather do? Also, she could do soccer this spring and see if she likes it. If she does, you can continue or you can try dance in the fall and then ask her which she wants to pursue.
    Another option is gymnastics - they get the flexibility and grace of dance, with the physical workout of soccer. My tomboy princess loves gymnastics because she gets the best of both worlds!

Answer by missanc at 10:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• dance!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If I ask her she will say both lol. I guess we could do soccer now and start dance in the fall. I forgot that Dance is year round and soccer is seasonal.

That just might work!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:58 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Well I don't know if she'll have a future in dance. The women on both sides of her family are top heavy to say the least lol. But she sure does love to dance around the house.

That's good to know that many other kids start so early. Definitely something to consider, thanks!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:09 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Seems like you've got a busy child! We spread ours out throughout the year. After a few years, we realized what she did/didn't like and could invest better when she was 5 or so. Now it's year round swim lessons, gym/dance, no soccer.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• We do leave it up to the kids and yes, if given their way completely they'd say "both." LOL! That's why we ask them with parameters. "You can do one sport at a time. Which would you rather do x or y." At 3 she took dance. She wanted to stay with it AND try gymnastics. We told her that because of the cost and the time commitments she had to pick one or the other. She did. We're now in our 2nd year of gymnastics. LOL! She recently started to talk about softball. Given total free reign she'd do both. However, she's also a Daisy Girl Scout and attends our church's elementary youth group. (Not to mention DS's activities!) We made her pick. "You can play softball OR you can stick with gymnastics. We can't do both." In the end she picked gymnastics. Is there a way to do a trial dance class or visit a soccer practice so she can experience both and see which she prefers?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You might look at it as the swimming is already a good workout for her and the soccer would be also, she might enjoy the graceful, slower pace of the dance to go along with the swimmng which is more active. However, chances are though that if she starts dance now, the class may have already begun to learn their dance recital number. Most recitals are in spring around May. They may have also already ordered the dance recital costume. Your daughter might not feel as included or up to were the other kids are at this time of the year. Soccer will start up again in spring and may be the best choice just because of the timing of each activity. Hope this helps!
    lovetoteach1988

Answer by lovetoteach1988 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Thanks everyone. My cousin made an excellent case for dance on my FB page lol. She made the point that younger kids may have a harder time with organized sports but most of them get and enjoy dance. SO I think we'll skip Soccer for this year and let her decide next year.

Thanks so much for your input!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 1:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2010