Gay Marriage

For you who don't believe in gay marriage,without using religion as your answer,give me one reason why you oppose it. I ask because I've never heard a reason that wasn't faith based.Would you oppose it if it wasn't called marriage,or does this not impact your answer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• 1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning. Also apparently those homosexual animals have picked up some unnatural behavier
    2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
    3) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.
    4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
    5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
    6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, an
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i do not oppose it, and neither does my husband. but my husband doesnt think it should be called "marriage" bc that is a sacrament... blah blah blah. (so yes i guess it is a faith based reason). but i dont care what it is called... love is love... regardless of who it is between. and i think my husband should agree with me... bc we didnt even get married in church... we did it in a courthouse... so does he not think we're married? i dont get what the big deal is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I am all for it, it is all about the same rights, gay people don't really care what they call it.

Answer by older at 11:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My dad says it will crash the health care system. I really can't understand how he arrived at that.

Here's the gimpy math:
    If about 10% of the population identifies as "gay" and everyone over 18 in this group ALL get married at once and apply for spousal benefits (that's 5% assuming everyone in this group is over 18 and everyone marries someone with health insurance that was established before the marriage) then the US would experience a major increase in the number of people purchasing family policy health insurance. Because it's private health care-- we have no public option-- and everyone pays for it.

So Kaiser and UHC and Humana make more money. Hmmm.... Still don't get the argument.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:16 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Why does there have to be another reason? For me faith comes first.

I used to not be opposed to legal unions that would give the same rights...not marriage...unions. Because of a particular member here on cafemom and her arguements on the subject, I have changed my mind. I now oppose these as well.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:28 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• There has to be another reason because you can't force your religion on others and use it as an excuse in a government issue to oppose HUMAN rights.Do you figure you'd be right up there using religion to say that blacks shouldn't have rights either if this was the 50's?Remember,back then blacks were not allowed to marry outside their race.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I don't care if gay people get married. I do mind the schools teaching people that feel being gay is wrong are bigots. They were doing this in California until Prop 8 was passed. Keep it about gay marriage and not forcing a lifestyle down others throats and I am all for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I am not forcing my religion on others. I am simpy doing what the first amendment allows me to do with my faith....the free exercise therof.

Forcing me to give up my faith or deny aspects of it violates my 1st amendment constitutional rights.

Most of the rights the gay movement claims they are seeking are already available via contracts, powers of attorney, wills and trusts. The few that aren't such as adoption and state/federal benefits could easily have been remedied without "marriage." This wasn't good enough, the choice was made to attack my faith instead. The choice was made to put it front and center in schools and to try and legislate my acceptace. These choices put me firmly against the movement.

My very religious parents and grandparents were not against civil rights for blacks or biracial marriages. Our faith doesn't teach that these things are wrong. These issues were more cultural than faith.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Can somebody tell me exactly how gay MARRIAGE is a HUMAN right. Where can this be found? Thanks.
    Anonymous

• I don't care one way or the other. Why should we worry about it? I don't make decisions about other people. And it has nothing to do with religion.
    I only object to those who want to get benefits that are given to married couples...not a good reason to get married. Money and benefits should not be the reason for marriage, gay or straight.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2010