What would be the best way to wean my 5 mth. old off the bottle and what kid of sippy?

I have a problem because he loves his NUK bottles.

mareye33

Asked by mareye33 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why do you want your 5 month old off bottles, most people don't worry about it till closer to a year
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• ya wait until closer to a year my oldest was off at 9 months but that is cause she broke herself just one day she wanted nothing to do with the baottle. They tell you 12-18 months so I wouldn't worry until like 10, 11 or even 12 months old
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• He may have a hard time uderstanding how to use the sippy. It is not like a nipple. Where they suck from. Even a straw takes some time to learn. You can keep introducing it but don't push him to use the sippy till he is totally ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• you dont need to wean from a bottle. you could offer a sippy with water for him to chew on and play with. one day he'll figure out how it works... and from that point on you could sometimes give it to him instead of a bottle throughout the day. hell then probably only do a bottle before nap and bed, and then eventually the bottle will be gone. dont force it. he is still very young.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• That's WAY too young

Answer by admckenzie at 11:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I started a sippy with my son at playtime just so he could practice with it - I used water in it, because at first he didn't get much out anyway. I breastfed until 9 months so we just switched straight to the sippy. If you get him used to the sippy, it will make for a much easier transition from bottle-sippy. But I do think he's young to get rid of the bottle altogether.

Answer by missanc at 11:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Oh - we used Nuby sippy cups, with the soft spout that are a little similar to bottles and have 2 handles to make them easier to hold onto.

• My son loved Nuby cups. First he would only use the ones with the gell straw then he moved to the gel spout. I started trying to get him to use a sippy cup at 6 months, I didn't try to wean him from the bottle, I just offered the cup. Like pretty much everyone else is saying, it was closer to the one year mark before he would drink from a sippy cup.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Keep him on the bottle for all of his formula and/or breastmilk until at least one year. All of that sucking that they do in the first year or so is important to proper jaw development. You want them sucking on something that is most like the breast for proper jaw development. Use the sippy cup for occasional water and juice when baby is old enough.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I agree, 5 mos. is way too young to be completely off of the bottle. You can START introducing sippies, but really, don't expect them to take hold till closer to a year or more. But really, a 5 month old's diet should still be made up of almost all milk - not solid food. And it isn't a great idea to give formula in sippies, since it can clog the spout and then they aren't getting anything. Sippies should be given more when the child starts real milk - at around a year. And before then, the child's diet should consist of mostly milk, and SOME supplementary food, but really only to get them used to it, not to provide much nutritional value. That is what the breastmilk/formula is for. It sounds as though you want your infant to grow up way too fast - slow down! They are only this little once. Enjoy it.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2010