How we dress...

I was raised jewelery/makeup is a sin. But come every sabbath we had to dress up for church. Nothing fancy, but still dressy. So I got to thinking, if jewelery/makeup is a sin to this church then why get specially dressed for church?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I personally believe that jewelry and makeup are fine. Jesus died on the cross for all the old testament "religious laws." For example: eating certain kinds of meats/foods, burnt offerings, how women were exiled on "that time of month" because they were unclean...I view the dress, hair, makeup thing as an old testament law and Jesus died to free us from ALL of that! But I do respect other religions and if you want to practice that as a sacrifice to God, that is fine. As for dressing up, it is traditional out of respect to God and giving him "your best." I was raised in a church that did this and I understand why people so this. However, I am now a member of a church where people come as they are and many people arrive in jeans and t-shirts. God loves us as we are, so who are we to judge others on anything, let alone how they come to church!! We should just be happy they are coming!
    ChereseB

Answer by ChereseB at 1:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My lil bro is much younger than me. in order to get him to brush his teeth and comb his hair for church I said to him, "Crucifixion is really bad. If Jesus can die on the cross for your sins, then you can brush your teeth for Jesus."

I was so mean to him! But I think it's a respect thing.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Because organized religion is awash in hypocritical double standards.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The dressing up thing comes from those who had more could dress in their Sunday best,while those who literally had 2 sets of clothes were unable to look as well as the rich ones.It's the rich showing off.Remember,all Jesus wore was robes and sandals.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• what kind of religion is that, no makeup and no jewelery? Sounds kind of silly to me or is it an amish thing. Do you use electricity or use horse and buggies in stead of cars?
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 11:29 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

-------------------------------------------------------------------

and paganism is sooooo much better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• "Because organized religion is awash in hypocritical double standards."

I couldn't have said it any better.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• "and paganism is sooooo much better"

In all technicalities, that too is an organized religion. However, it isn't nearly as brain-washy as most of the more popular ones.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i'm not brainwashed. I was raised to think for myself and stand my own two feet. I grew up a strong, intelligent, nurturing woman, wife and mother. I also believe in God and love Him with my whole heart, i follow His words as best as I can, i dont feel that that makes me brainwashed.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 10:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Because organized religion is awash in hypocritical double standards.

and paganism is sooooo much better.

Yes...it's dis-organized religion! :-P
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2010