Do You push your tween to be on the average??

I was just curious if you push or encourage your tween to be "up to speed" w/tech stuff,like cell phones texting and all that? I don't encourage or discourage my dd,she will be 10 in April. My dh and I are not in the cell/texting stuff. We simply have one cell between the two of us and don't text. My dd just using the phone to call her bff but rarely and although she wants a cell we are not buying her one till there is a need for one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• No - I have a 10 year old son and an 8 1/2 yo daughter and I think they're actually a little behind on tech stuff, but that's okay with me. They know how to use a cell phone, but don't use mine - they use the land line. My dh is very into the newest tech stuff - he has an IPhone with the blue tooth head thing and all that, so it's around and the kids are used to it they just aren't interested in it - yet. I won't get them cell phones until they are going places unsupervised with their friends and even then it won't be THEIRS, it will be a family 3rd, or 4th cell phone that they will have to ask to use, until they have a job and can pay for their own.

Answer by missanc at 11:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Trust me, technology is something that will eventually be hard to keep them from. I dislike cell phones, ipods, psp's, etc, and but guess what I am surrounded by them. After a while you get used to them, and sometimes even like them. I have noticed that when I text them we keep up with one another alot more. Not sure why, you would think that calling each other would have the same result, but it doesn't. Don't push them, it will happen on its own.
    Anonymous

• Nah. I did get my middle schooler a cell phone for Christmas. She'll be 12 in June. My eldest dd got one when she was 12. I just got tired of having to wait if practice ran late, etc. This way she can call of text me if she thinks practice will run long. The basic rule  for us is no cell phones until at least age 12. So, my younger two will not have a cell phone until middle school either. We do it for convenience, not to be cool.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I have no problem with my kids 10 and 15 using and having technology. They have ipod touches, cell phones, video games, etc... no big deal and all used in moderation. They are into sports, get good grades, have no major behavior problems so if they want to spend their bday and Christmas money on gadgets I am fine with it.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My kids want to be, but every time they ask me for a cell phone I laugh hysterically, and they ask me what's so funny. LOL They can be up to date on technology when they are old enough to pay for that technology themselves.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• my older two (13 & 15) got cell phones in 6th grade. It was more for my convenience since they were on traveling sports teams, and had a bit more freedom. They figured all that stuff out on their own - I never pushed. It was also around that age they got their first IPods (birthday gifts). I never pushed it, it was simply what they requested as a gift.

However, I now have a dd in high school and thank goodness for text. We are ALWAYS texting, the schedule is nuts and it makes life soooooo much easier now.

Anonymous

• i try to slow it as much as possible because it is everywhere. there are certain things that i completely feel are not needed for my SD 9. She has no need for phone, myspace/facebook, etc. her mom lets her have a myspace and facebook. i have deleted the myspace twice, but can't now because of the e-mail it is set up with. the facebook, i believe i successfully deleted today. i need to check. she doesn't have a phone yet, but it will not be in this house until her father and I agree that she is old enough for it whether her mom wants her to have it or not.

she has a DSi and Ipod that her mom got her. her father and I would not buy those for her at her age.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My oldest is 9 and he asked me today actually when is he gonna be able to get him a phone. I told him hes not gonna get any cell phones. Why, well hes 9 and we have a home phone. He wants to call someone he can come home and call someone. I have two phones, my cell and my home. I pay for both.. I told my son if he wants one of those, he would a. have to be an adult b. and pay for hes own.. I dont really think kids need a cell phone this young.. He has game systems and what not which are fine, but I dont think he needs all these technology at the age of nine.. What ever happened to just going over to a friends house or vice versus and talking and playing..
    darkpoetess

Answer by darkpoetess at 9:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• No. I worked in the cell phone industry for 5 years and have seen firsthand that privilege get out of hand and parents paying dearly. One time this guy gave his girl a phone and racked up 900 bucks because they didn't pay attention to the "extras."

My 10 year old even TRAVELS THOUSANDS of miles to be with her father. She is always with an adult who will watch her and has their own phone in case she needs to be connected to me. No cell phone until she is 12/13. She did get an iPod Nano for Christmas last month and last year she got the DS, but that's what she wanted for Christmas. Her cousin, who is younger, spoiled rotten and gets everything has a laptop, a phone, and an iPod Touch. That is WAY too much for her to have at 8, IMO.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 2:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2010