Looking for something to make with left over Ham.

We have a ham that I cut up for sandwiches, which we have been eating for the last two nights. I am looking for something to make with the left over ham. I hate to see it go to waste. It was a cooked ham that we got for Christmas and need to use up. I was thing cutting it up with eggs or potatoes, but some other ideas would be great.

Trinitysmom1205

Asked by Trinitysmom1205 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Fried rice. Big favorite in our house. When I make it my kids will eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner until it's all gone.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• What about a potato soup with ham? Or split pea with ham? Your idea for a mash of sorts with potatoes, eggs, and cheese sounds good-maybe with some broccoli and onions and bell peppers...
    Nom nom nom nom
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 11:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I like to make ham&beans,My g~parents are from smoky mtns we grew up on this. I love to make good old fashioned corn bread and I just buy the great northern beans already preped in the jar. You just throw the chopped-up ham in w/them and I always throw a couple 2-3 chicken bouillon cubes in for flavor and just check it and flavor-to-tastew/salt and pepper.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 12:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Oh,Trinity,I wanted to add that we have always call this meal "soup beans and corn bread" It's a staple in the hill country;) I like to put a dollop of real mayo in my soup beans and tons of butter on my corn bread. Really important,You will need to add about a cup to a cup and a half of water to your soup beans while heating them on the stove.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 12:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I like scalloped potatoes and ham, ham and bean soup, ham with rice. Check allrecipes.com and see what you can find there.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You can always put it in the freezer and finish it up in a month or so. It'll last a while in there, and you won't get sick of ham.
    Anonymous

• hmmm, scalloped potatos and ham. Add to mac and cheese.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Well I make this ham hotdish it is homemade mac and cheese with california style mixed vegtables(broc, califlower, carrots) and brussel sprouts and ham-----yummy----
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I was about to suggrst beans and ham and saw that someone else did. I like cooking dried beans. I cover them with water and parboil them first. Drain off the liquid, and pour into a crockpot, cover with water, throw in a few pieces of ham (for flavor) and seasoning. I use some chopped onion, hot pepper sauce, red pepper flakes and a pinch of cayenne. Cook til tender, add salt and cook til broth thickens to your liking. Serve with biscuits or cornbread, ham, greens or cole slaw. It is a staple in my area also but we just call it a "poor-man's supper".
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 2:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Cube it and put it in scalloped potatoes. Make in a skillet with onions, garlic, green peppers, onions, cheese and hashbrowned potatoes. Serve with a fried egg on top.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2010