What are some of your favorite dinner recipes that are not bad for you

i'm really trying to get fit and healthy again but i really love my food lol. i'm trying to think of some somewhat healthy meals for my family that are still really tastey.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Here are some of our recent dinners. Send me a message offlist if you would like any recipes: Week of 1/18
    Sunday – chili, cornbread
    Monday – mushroom stroganoff
    Tuesday – tofu fish sticks, not crab cakes, sweet potato fries
    Wednesday – stirfry, brown rice
    Thursday – southwest falafel
    Friday – fondue night
    Saturday – pot stickers, fried rice
    Week of 1/11
    Sunday – some kind of veggie stew in the slowcooker
    Monday – squashed macaroni
    Tuesday – peanut noodles
    Wednesday – pancakes, fruit salad
    Thursday – general tsao’s
    Friday – lentil tacos
    Saturday – pizza
    Week of 1/4
    Sunday – no hurry curry
    Monday – tofu fish sticks, not crab cakes, sweet potato fries
    Tuesday – lentil sloppy joes
    Wednesday – stuffed peppers
    Thursday – stir fry

Answer by rkoloms at 12:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• We eat alot of chicken and rice and vegetables.. Saute the chicken in EVOO add some fresh or dried herbs(thyme,sage,rosemary,garlic,pepper etc..) Do brown rice and some steamed aspragus or fresh corn , green-beans etc.. Also it is really good and healthy to saute the chicken then cut it into strips and put it over a salad with veg and eggs in it w/ a low calorie dressing...

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 12:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Very well seasoned and baked boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs, a salad or steamed broccoli, and brown rice with a little butter, salt and pepper is good.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 12:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I love to broil salmon,with just a little seasoning,no salt. ANd Steamed veggies such as broccoli. BAked sweet potatoes. Baked chicken with wild rice. I don't really use recipes unless they include the nutritional ingredients such as fat content and calories.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• TAKE SOME CHICKEN PUT SOME SEASONINGS ON IT THEN STICK IT IN THE OVEN TILL ITS CRISPY ....I LOVE MAC -N-CHEESE TUNA CASSEROLE ....MAKE A BOX OF MAC NA CHEESE ADD A CAN OF TUNA AND A CAN OF CREAM OF (CHICKEN,MUSHROOM,CELERY)WHATEVER ONE YOU LIKE, PUT IT IN A PAN AND THROW IT IN THE OVEN .....!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Pasta made with homemade low sodium tomato sauce and lean ground bison, turkey chili, herb roasted chicken with roasted root vegetables (potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and carrots), baked chicken with baked sweet potatoes, chicken stir fry, grilled portobello burgers and grilled veggies (asparagus, corn on the cob), turkey meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes, homemade chicken noodle soup. If anyone wants recipes, PM me.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Oh another I forgot is a favorite. Smoked turkey with red beans and corn bread. Yummy!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Whenever you cook a meal with a packaged dinner such as mac and cheese, look at the sodium and fat contents and you might see that they are way too high. That is why I don't make recipes that call for something like Kraft Mac and cheese or the Macaroni Grill diners with pasta and sauce. The sodium/...salt...content is harmful and the fat calories are way too high. Use whole wheat pasta and make your own sauce from fresh tomatoes and spices, freshly grated cheese. Packaged meals are unhealthy and high calorie.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I'm back on my diet since 1/4, lost 8.5 pounds so far. For dinner we basically eat a lean meat and lots of veggies, no starch, for example, grilled spicy chicken breasts over a big mixed greens salad with tomato, feta and my fav lo cal dressing, pork tenderloin with roasted asparagus or brussels sprouts, shake n bake boneless pork chops with salad or veggie, london broil once in a while.... I also make delicous diet chicken fajitas that all goes in one pan, looks like slop, but its fabulous and very easy, one of dh's favs. I also always have homemade healthy/diet soups in the freezer for quickies...chicken noodle, split pea, veggie chili and escarole and beans.

A good rule of thumb when eating lean meats is to eat about the size of a deck of cards, which is roughly 3 oz...to help with portion control. Load all the veggies you want.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• This is what I made the other night - super easy, quick, and IMO pretty darn healthy. 2 lbs of lean hamburger browned with 1 large onion chopped up. Drain. Add black pepper, chili powder, parsley, and any other seasonings you like. Add 2lbs frozen mixed vegetables and 1 large can (46oz I think) low/no sodium tomato or vegetable juice. Simmer til veggies are tender, and adjust seasoning as needed. At this point I almost added some black beans - which can also replace the ground beef for a healthier soup, and are very filling. Since I already had the meat in, I decided to cook some brown rice instead, so we had more healthy carb instead of more protein. I simmered the soup a few hours so it was very thick, stew-like, and we ate it poured over the rice. Whole wheat pasta would have been good too. I'll probably make this again in a couple weeks with black beans instead of meat, and a nice whole-wheat roll for the carb.
    Anonymous