Any truth to this?

The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.- Thucydides

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well we certainly have the cowards in DC but I would not call our military fools.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• No, our military are not fools, but look at our Commander-in-Chief. I do see some truth in the statement. When I was studying the writings of the ancient Greeks, I was amazed to see that the social and political problems that they were writing about then are the same problems we have today! The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The stats show that the members of the military tend to have a higher education level than the population of the US as a whole.

...maybe it's because of all the scholarships the military offers...well for whatever reason it is; the old stereotype of soldiers being all brawn and no brains does not apply to all our military.
    Anonymous

• In watching commentators over the past decade or so, the military men DO have their heads on straight, and their priorities clear.

With a son who was in the Navy's Annapolis, and who went through Marine Officer School, I can tell you that they receive a very rigorous education in history, philosophy, and psychology as well as the sciences and military tactics classes you would expect.

In fact, his education looks more like traditional education used to look, before student revolts started to turn colleges into supermarkets, and 60's radicals moved into the faculties to transform what our 20-year-olds learn about the world ...

Perhaps these military institutions are among the last places where our youth learn how to THINK (instead of being taught WHAT to think ! )
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2010