• In the Spotlight:

Anyone have kids (younger - Sparks) or volunteer with Awana?

Does anyone know if it's typical that the teachers "help" the kids get their verses signed off on by basically telling them the verses, or let them get signed off without them really knowing the verses? This somewhat bothers me because he my son perfectly capable of memorizing them on his own. He doesn't bother to learn them if they just sign off on them and he gets the jewels anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I used to volunteer in Cubbies (AWANAS for 3-5 year olds) and it's totally up to the teacher. If the kids didn't get the verse on their first try I would always tell them the verse and them come back later. If it bothers you, I would talk to the teacher and tell her that you don't think he has enough incentive to learn the verses and you'd like it to be a little harder for him, for him to get less help with the verse. I would think they would be okay with it.

Answer by missanc at 12:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I think it has some to do with the parent and the child's skill level too. When my son was younger and in Awana, he could meorize all the verses, but I worked with him. Sometimes we'd make little cheers or songs out of them to remember. i'm sure some parents don't work with the child to help in the process, being that it's only Awana. Some kids at young ages still have memorization problems too. I guess it is just up to the teacher and how they feel each child is doing, I dunno.

Anonymous

• Sometimes the teachers do help. My son is in Sparks (and loves it) and doesn't have any problem memorizing the verses. But I have seen the teachers give a word of help now and then (especially with the longer verses).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Mine got signed off on verses he didn't even practice this week, and I KNOW he didn't know, so I'm pretty sure this guy is giving more than a "word" of help. It's frustrating because I want him to learn the verses, not just say them quick to get a jewel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jan. 22, 2010