i just started working out i'm doing pilates and mostly ab workouts. After the first day of working out my whole stomach feels sore. i dont know if its because i got a good work out?? or because crunches are to early to start with. (my baby is 7 weeks)

when did you start to work out after your baby?

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 12:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am still taking it easy. I had my son 3months ago, but it was via emergency c-section so I have some extra healing & I don't want to risk anything in the healing process. I mostly walk & dance around the house while cleaning LOL. As for your sore stomach though, have you ever heard the phrase "Feel the burn"? Well, that's the burn LOL. As long as you aren't in serious pain you should be fine, but I would ask your OB for a list of appropriate routines for getting back into the swing of things if you're unsure.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• In my opinion it might be early to be doing an intense ab workout - I assume you didn't have a c-section because in that case it would be absolutely too early...I would start very lightly on ab workouts and slowly make them harder over the weeks if you feel good. And definitely don't do any until your doctor ok's it....good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Start lightly. It's still early for you. Your stomach is most likely sore from using muscles that haven't been used in a long time. But you should always ease into a workout routine, especially after pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• start slow and work your way up to it. your body is still adjusting to have given birth.

I started with walking and other light exercises then moved onto pilates.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I have been doing pilates for years and it is all about the core. It is one of the more core intensive exercises out there. I wouldn't do too much too soon, esp. after having a baby!!!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My doctor told me 6 weeks was the earliest I could start working out...but he discouraged it. I just started working out again now (5 months later) and am still a little sore. I def. don't think an intense ab workout is smart this early. Just start with light workouts and work your way up. You don't want to over-do it and then have more problems to deal with on top of taking care of a newborn.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2010