Allowance

Do you give your child an allowance? If so, do they have to do something to earn it? If not, do they have ways to earn money?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 12:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope no allowance here. They have chores that they are responable for. If they want to earn some money then they can do some "extra" stuff around the house to earn some. We have it set to a chart how much each extra chore will earn them.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Yep. They get $5 a week. They don't earn it and there is no way to earn more.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Yes - they get $4 a week, $2 to spend and $2 to go into their savings account at the credit union. They are 8 and 10 and there are chores connected to the allowance, but there are also chores that they do not get an allowance for. If they want extra money I can always come up with extra chores (last week they dusted all the downstairs baseboards!)

Answer by missanc at 12:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• purpleducky: You're kids get $5 a week ... just for being your kids? Just fee money?
    Anonymous

• free not fee money
    Anonymous

• No allowance here. My kids really don't have any need to spend money. They do their chores because they are part of the family and are expected to help maintain the house. They get paid to pick up litter on our street (sometimes just in our yard and our neighbors' yards but if they want to earn more they go up and down the entire block, the more they pick up the more they earn...usually $1-$5 each). They also pick up litter out of the kindness of their hearts and don't always expect to get paid to do it.
    They are only 9, 8, 7 and 3 now, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• We pay for grades. My spouse and I don't get paid for household chores, neither does our daughter. We do, however have jobs where we get paid; occasionally, we may get a performance bonus.
    The pay scale has varied over the years. Currently (9th grade) $20-A, $10-B, $0-C, $-10-D, $-20-F. There are $20 bonuses for honor roll (based on letter grades) and principal's scholar (based on GPA); there is a $50 bonus for straight As. Half of all of her money (babysitting, report card, gifts) goes to savings, the rest is hers to spend as she chooses.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• We do not give our kids allowance. They don't have ways to earn money because they don't need money. If they want something, we'll see how much it costs, decide if WE want them to have it, and evaluate their behavior. If they're good kids with good grades, and we can afford it, they can have it. If not, well then, not. When relatives give them money, they put it in the bank.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Yes, they get free money. I am not going to pay for everything they want. So we give them $5 a week and they save it up for stuff they want but we refuse to buy. Yes I know I am technically buying it for them still but it also teaches them the value of a dollar.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• No, I do not give my kids allowance. Unfortunately, the County (because we are adopting from the foster system, and the kids are still technically foster children), give 3 of my children $40 per month allowance. We put as much of it as they will allow us to into savings accounts for them.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 2:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2010