Taking medicine

My 20 month old has a cold, but won't take the bubble gum flavor medicine. I tired putting it in little by little but she ends up spitting it out and rubbing her tongue on the couch or something to get rid of the taste. Than I also tried to just try to push it in her mouth real quick, but she just spits it out. Does anyone have any tricks?

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I use a syringe, for my daughter lol it's quicker and a lot faster than using a spoon i just squirt it in real fast lol and give her something to wash it down with. I use the syringe that came with the infant motrin.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Mix it in apple sauce or juice if you do juice (we don't do juice; luckily our daughter loves apple sauce). Mix a dose in a relatively small amount of apple sauce, though.., enough to cut the taste, but you don't want her to eat half and then leave you wondering how much of her dose she actually got. If she doesn't like apple sauce, maybe another fruit puree or yogurt.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I assume you are trying the syringe? My son loves drinking from little cups, the one's that actually come on my nyquil. so I put it in there and add water and tell him how cute, ice cold water or whatever is her favorite drink. also, we only let our son drink anything in the ktichen so medicine he gets in the bathroom so its extra fun or something for him..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I have to mix my daughter's allergy medicine (loratadine) in her juice. When she was on a steroid for a few days (and in her defense it was nasty!) I had to mix it in yogurt. And this past week her Dr prescribed amoxicillin for her ear infection and I couldn't mix it into anything. This might sound horrible, but I have had to bribe her. Reward her with movies or V-8 fusion juice! LOL. Hey, it worked!
    ChereseB

Answer by ChereseB at 2:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2010