Can someone please expain Demuirge from a Gnostic perspective?

I guess I don't understand Demuirge, Sophia, and the "real God". If you don't believe in this stuff please don't answer. I just want an expanation of this gnostic belief. Im not trying to start a debate. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In the Gnostic version of creation of the world the Spirit of God is referred to as the Wisdom of God or Sophia who is also a feminine creative force. It seems she wished to give birth to a creature like herself. She did so without the permission of her partner. She was able to do this by the power within her. The fruit of her desire was something imperfect and different from her in appearance. She was ashamed of it, threw it outside of the heavenly realm and hid it in a cloud so none of the Immortals would see it. According to the Gnostics this horrible child became the one they called the Demiurge. Unbeknown to him his mother gave him some of her power which contained the Spirit.

continued...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The Demiurge thought the power which his mother gave him was his own, and with it he started creating the physical world. In doing this the Gnostics believed the Demiurge entrapped the Spirit in matter. They viewed the Demiurge as being the Christian God, the creator, basing their belief on the statement, "I am God, and there is no one besides me."

more info here:

http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/g/gnosticism.html

IhartU