Why would it be better to be on state aid?

I had a job and my family was doing well before we had kids. Then I lost my job and can only find very part time work (not even 20 hours a week). I have been looking for ways to get my family back on track and off of aid. I don't get cash just food and medical for the kids and it kills me to take that, but the kids need it.
I decided to look into Tarot reading at parties and online as a way to make money and flex around DH work because day care for 3 kids is over 1500 a month where I live. I told a few of my friends and family and they honestly think I should just stay on State aid instead of doing this! I don't get it. I understand that Tarot is not everyones cup of tea, but you would think they would be proud of me for getting out of the system.
So I wonder is there anyone else that talks down to people on the system, but than talks even worse about some of the alternative jobs they get to get off the system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ahhh, the good old double standard....Get off of PA, but not THAT way. I say, if you can find something to do to earn money, and it does not offend YOU (you can live with yourself if you do it), and it is not illegal, then go for it.

I don't see much difference between doing Tarot readings and selling Amway or Tupperware. GO FOR IT!!!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If you can find a way to get off of it..go for it...i would assume they told you not to bother because it doesnt sound stable, like an income you can count on......It has no positive outlook or anything....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Sadly, I understand their point of view. I also get medical and stamps for my kids. No cash. If I were to get a job, it would have to be full time, otherwise I would be working simply to pay the cost of daycare and still not make enough to get off PA. It's pretty doubtful that you could make enough money doing Tarot and on some months you can end up having to go without because you didn't make enough for what was needed. I'm sorry you're in this situation, I know personally that it sucks. And for the record, I think Tarot is interesting. :o)
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It is not stable but it is very profitable if you do it right and manage money It would definatlly make enough to help out alot and atleast afford the things we are going with out. In all honesty it was not the idea that it was self employment so not as reliable as a 9-5 but that it was Tarot you would have thought I told them I was going to go work at the Bunny Ranch.
    Anonymous

• Good luck and if Tarot reading will earn you some money, go for it.
    ANd yeah, it is not like working at the Bunny Ranch/. That was funny anon :46.
    People can be so rude.....
    Anonymous

• op here
    This is the thing my parents like a lot of people on CM think People on the system should go out there and take any job they can to get off. I am doing just that Finding a job to take care of my family. But the job is not up to standard.
    So I wonder how many people out there are the same way where you should go out and get a job to get off the system, but not certain jobs. Would you rather see a women on public assitance than Tarot reading? Stripping? When you say get a job and get off the system are there certain jobs you think are on a nono list?
    Anonymous

• At-home parties aren't my thing, but if I was good at networking and socializing I would most certainly be doing it. You gotta do what you gotta do! I'm personally extremely thankful that we have Medicaid. I have sleep apnea, and it can become life threatening if it goes untreated for too long. I would have never been able to afford the treatment for it without Medicaid. My daughter also receives Medicaid, we never would've been able to afford her well-baby checkups without it. I do what I have to do to keep me and my family healthy. Nobody will be able to convince me otherwise.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2010