Anyone else unhappy with their OB-GYN?

I hate to badmouth my doc, as she's been in the biz for a long time, but every time I leave her office I feel incredibly dissatisfied. I've been her patient for 36 weeks now, and we have no personal connection. She doesn't know my husband's name, where I'm from, or what I do. Not too long ago I literally bumped into her at Sears, and she didn't even recognize me. When I hit my 8th month of pregnancy, I asked her when we were supposed to discuss my birth plan, since this is my first and I had several questions, and she told me we'd talk about it after I went to birthing classes. I am in birth classes now, and the last one is a week before my due date. Am I supposed to wait that long to talk to her about the most important day of my life? I keep finding myself that wishing my doc will be out of town or on vacation, or somehow unavailable when I go into labor. Does anyone have any advice, or anything to share about this?

mrs.anderson24

Asked by mrs.anderson24 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• if you're unhappy switch drs now before you give birth. if you're this miserable now imagine how you'll feel while in labor. Call around & find a better ob.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Wow, I dont like mine either....but i stuck it out..mine is just more hands off than my doc with my son was. Since i had someone to compare it to it was more upsetting but i cant say that they are really awful!!! I know he will have a wonderful pedi, and they do get concerned if you call with a problem.....You prob. should have switched when you were at that half way point in your preg. Good luck hun!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• if at all possible, switch. i have been discussing with my midwife stuff related to birth since my first appointment. i ask lots of questions about it, and get good answers. it could be that your doctor doesn't see the mother as having any choices in birth and that's not a good thing imo. gl! :-)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You can switch up to the day before you have the baby. So you have limited time. Start calling today.

Maybe a practice with a midwife would be better for you? Midwives tend to be a little more personalized as a generalization.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I was dissatisfied with mine after my last pregnancy, switched doctors, and now I couldn't be happier. I actually switched to a group of midwives, at a hospital/medical center, and they are EXACTLY what I was wanting.
    Anonymous

• I say you need to talk to her at your next visit- tell her you want to talk about your birth plan now and get it settled and don't let her out of the room until you do. Some doctors just need to be pushed by the patient. I personally think it would be hard to switch this far along- if you are up for it than by all means take the leap but it might be more hassle than it is worth. Also, my OB practice has 3 doctors that did on call at the hospital so I ended up with someone different than I had been seeing anyway and the majority of people checking you and seeing you when you are in the delivery room are the nurses and interns. Don't be afraid to let them know your plans when you get to the hospital and don't be afraid to push your doctor now a bit to get her to hear your concerns. Next time I would say "I feel that there are concerns I have we are not addressing so I need to go over some things at this visit." Good luck Mama!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I'm very satisfied with mine. He performed a fairly difficult c section on me, and everything turned out perfectly. It was such an easy experience. I healed so quickly, and was in hardly any pain. Not only that, but my son is perfect. In my opinion, that makes him an excellent doctor, and I have no complaints. If you're not satisfied, I definitely recommend getting a different doctor...there are many, many out there.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• With my 1st preg I had an awful midwife so i switched to a doc but he was a idiot too, then by pure luck I meet Bond, he is an older gentleman, but he tells you how it is, no nice to it. I love him, in a weird way he reminds me of my grandpa, I know gross huh, i went into early labor and almost lost my child as well as myself, if it was not for bond who saved us both. Now i am preg with our second....
    If you are unhappy about your doc switch, after 36 weeks she should have reconigized you, even if not by name but by face, doc are so busy and over loaded, find one who only takes a certain amount of patients, or a midwife they are more personal than a doc sometimes...if u cant switch DEMAND her to talk about your birth plan write it out and give her a copy to puyt in your file so when you do go into labor its there no matter which doc u get when that time comes..
    good luck
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 2:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I'd switch if I were you. I wasn't in love with my OB/GYN when I was pregnant but she was ok. The other doctor in the practice, I really did not like at all. I met her a couple months before my due date in case I went into labor when she was on call. At the very end of my pregnancy, I was really irritated by both of them. They wanted to induce me without giving me a real good reason. I let them because I knew my dd was going to be big. When I scheduled the induction, they didn't tell me it was a day that the other doctor was on call so the doctor I hated was going to deliver my baby. I wasn't even in labor yet and I started crying when the nurse told me. They had already put the cervadil in so they didn't want me to go home. I had a doctor I hated deliver my baby and I really wish I had switched doctors when I had the chance. I have a different doctor now.
    beanerbecky

Answer by beanerbecky at 8:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I would DEFINETLY switch dr's. I was very unhappy with my dr, I looked up other ob's in my area that accepted my insurance, narrowed it down to the one that fit all of my needs, called them, scheduled an appt, went to my old dr and signed a release to have my records sent to the new dr and never went back. I am SO VERY HAPPY now!!! My ob is great! She is awesome!
    ProudMommy51006

Answer by ProudMommy51006 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2010