would you get your baby baptised if....?

it wasnt your religion or belief..or even your husbands but his family had a history of doing it and they insisted you baptised the baby. what would you do?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. It is my child's decision when, where and of what faith they want to be baptized. I will not take that choice away from them.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 1:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I'd respectfully decline.
    Anonymous

• Tell them no.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• It certainly couldn't hurt imho so I'd let it happen.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If I thought it would harm the child, I'd decline. If I thought it was unnecessary but harmless, go for it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If you're not going to raise your child in the faith no. It does more harm then good.
    Anonymous

• nope, i dont believe in that so why should i do it because others do it?
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 12:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• No, i wouldnt.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If you do not want your baby to be baptized, then you and your husband should tell them together that it is your child and you do not practice their religion. If you really do not care, make them happy and they might shut up. Although, give them that and they might expect more in the future. I personally believe that baptism is a huge religious symbol signifying a person is "born again" and cleansed of their sins and your child should be able to make that decision for his or herself when they are old enough to do so.
    ChereseB

Answer by ChereseB at 12:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I come at it from a different perspective. Think of it this way. During baptism (at least in my denomination) when you stand before the church for a baptism, there are questions you answer. The pastor will ask you "Do you take Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?, Do you promise to raise your child to know Christ..." and a few other similar questions. You are expect to answer "I do." THEN the pastor says "Do you, the congregation, vow to help this child come to know Christ, to provide for his/her spiritual growth and to support this family." The congregation answers "we do." This is a vow I, as a congregant, take in church, during a service, before God. I take it very seriously. If you have no plan on allowing me to follow through with a vow I just took, I'd rather you didn't go through the motions. You're putting others in a position to not keep up their end of a vow. It's not just "a thing to do" it means something.
    Anonymous