booster seat question.

am a verybig advocated for carseat safety. but i was wondering, some boosters go up to 80lbs. and some 5 point harness go up to 65 or 80 lbs. but some kids dont reach that weight till middle or high school. i was like 70 something lbs 9 th grade. and i was 85 lbs when i got marry(i lost weight from surgery). so if you had a child in middle school and they weight below 65 lbs would you amke them sit in a booster?

piwife

Asked by piwife at 12:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• no
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Well it is not just wieght you need to consider it is also hieght! So if they are tall enough to sit with the seat belt correctly placed then they wil not need one.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• There are height limits to those seats as well. I imagine that if your child reached and exceeded the height limit before they did the weight than they would not need the seat any more. I am not a professional or car seat tech, I am just taking a guess.
    Anonymous

• We're getting to that point. My oldest is turning 10 this summer and is only 4' tall and 45lbs. Not sure what we will be doing when she hits the preteen years. Right now she doesn't care much about the booster but has made comments that none of her friends use them (the law is 8 or 80lbs here but most people stop putting their kids in any kind of seat at 5). Most likely when she hits 12 we'll switch to something like a pillow if she hasn't grown much. Hopefully she'll hit a growspurt or something to make her a little taller (she's in 4th grade now and is smaller then most of the 3rd graders and the same size as most of the 2nd graders).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• NO!! I saw a mom on wife swap that put her 11 year old twins in booster seats, the ones that look like reg. car seats that have the full back and everything and i was soooo aggrivated!!! The kids got so upset everyday because they got picked on for it. they were really tall, but thin, she kept them in it because of their weight! My child will NOT be in a booster seat at that age PERIOD!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The law here in NC is a child has to be 8 or the height of 4'9". The reason for booster seats really has nothing to do with weight, it's to raise the kids up to the right height for the seat belt to work properly.
    I personally wouldn't keep my kids in a booster seat past age 8.

Answer by missanc at 1:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• No. We took our 9 year old out when she was 5 because the law was 5 years, 50 pounds and then changed. It kept changing to what it is now 8 years, 80 pounds, so she should have had to go back into a booster when she had already adjusted to not being in one. Our 4 year old is in a booster and will remain in one for a while, but he's more petite than his sis. He will probably stay until he is 6 or 7. I would never put a middle schooler in a booster. Shoot, I remember not even wearing seat belts as a kid! I did not die. clearly.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Sometimes staying in a car seat too long (as in too tall) can be more dangerous than not using one.
    Anonymous

• I always wondered what little people did for their kids.Some never reach the height requirement.Does that mean they have to be in one til they start to drive themselves? I'll be putting mine in one probably til he's 10.He's like 55 lbs now and 8.I can't see him being in one til 13 or something!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• i plan on keeping my kids in a 5 point harness till they are 65lbs. of course ifthey are also withing the height limit and not to old
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2010