do u all think it would be easy to open a daycare center at my home

im a stay at home mother of three and i was wondering if it would be easy to open a day care in my house to make extra money

steelermom21

Asked by steelermom21 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Depends on if you are going to be state licenced or just do only a few kids. Look up your states department of human services and see how many kids you can watch with out a licence. Look into the requirements to get a licence. If you get a licence through the state you can accept kids that the state pays for. It is more paper work, but they always pay.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The process itself is time consuming. I had thought about doing daycare in my home because i already babysit quite often. However, you HAVE to be licensed (in most states) if you are watching a child for more than 10 hours a week in your home. If not you could face a HUGE fine. You can contact your local DSHS and they will have information about becoming a licensed provider. I know for mine, I had to take a training class that was like 3 days long, and also had to be CPR and First Aid certified, and then they send someone out to your home to inspect your house for MANY different things. You have to have a certain amount of square footage per person, if you have a 2 story house you have to have an exit from the top story that the kids can get out incase of fire, like a escape ladder or something, you have to have a certain amount of outdoor space for them to play, room for one bed or cot per child, it's A LOT of stuff you...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• have to have as far as that, and child proofing, and they can drop by anytime to have inspections. Also you are not suppose to have other people in your house other than your family members for any length of time during the day unless they have had background checks and all that through the DSHS. I know those were the rules when I was looking at doing daycare. But if you can get through all that, then it is well worth it for the money as far as I can tell.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Easy?? NO! BUT - anything in life worth having is not easy.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2010