Supreme Court shocker! Political contribution free for all!

In a stunning decision the court decided to overturn federal election laws and allow corporations, unions and other groups to directly spend on political campaigns.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/21/supreme-court-sides-hillary-movie-filmmakers-campaign-money-dispute/

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 12:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Welcome to the United States of America, Inc.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 5:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I do actually agree with it. Not allowing it does violate our freedom of expression. and the stealth pacs are a sneaky way around it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I have some issues. Corps and unions don't always represent the wishes of the people that make them up. How will a corp decide? Its owners are made up of shareholders with widely varying poltical ideals. Ditto for the unions. An example would be a new tax increase for my state. Several unions have approved it, yet their members don't.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I see big business and unions (Andy Stern, SEIU) controlling the elections. Bad decision. I think it will completely undermine our election process.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I will never donate to another campaign. The corporations are going to get people elected. Not us peons who donate a few hundred dollars. It kind of pisses me off honestly.
    Anonymous

• I guess our country will truly be a Corpocracy.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I've already read one editorial saying (happily) that this is a gateway to removing restrictions on broadcast tv like the safe harbor laws or the ratings system. They said it basically equates all media, and since porn is legal online, it should be legal on NBC. I get what they were after with "upholding free speech" but it's misguided. The reasons restrictions on campaign speech were enacted were to help level the playing field and make it possible for normal people to get elected. In one decision this just wiped out those equalizers and opened a big gaping loophole in FCC regulations.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You all should be wetting your pants since it was the conservative judges who ruled to have this pass.
    Anonymous

I suggest you go read the actual decision before you scratch a tonsil with your toenail. This was a split decision and they all mix and matched where they weighed in. It wasn't just a concurring and opposing filing here, there were multiple.
    Anonymous