Pregnant- ever used coffee to ease constipation?

It's been almost a week since I've had a BM.. I feel perfectly fine.. and its usually 2-4 days in between BM's.. I've read that coffee will help get things moving. Anyone do/done this? I swore I would never have caffine in my pregnancy, but I would rather have coffee than those laxitive type things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• they say you can have a cup or two of coffee/day. Caffeine never worked for me to get things moving - in my past 3 pregnancies I have always gotten to the point where I have needed to take a stool softener, not a laxative.

Answer by missanc at 12:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• A cup of coffee is ok, but you could try a couple things. 1) Drink more water 2) get moving...sometimes a walk helps 3) eat more fiber....prunes are good esp those single wrapped ones. I know it all seems common sense but it does help. If you still are having problems ask your doc for a stool softener. They are easy on you and the baby. Good luck!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• yes i did. i would have a small cup of coffee every morning. not a huge whopping travel mug. just a cup. sometimes i wouldn't even finish it. i also found that half caff coffee worked too. sometimes with me just the smell of it brewing got things going. good luck. in moderation it should be fine.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You are allowed to drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day during pregnancy. Those are regular cops, not espressos :p Coffee has not always worked for me as a laxative, but it is worth a try if you want to avoid an over the counter one.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• OP- Right, I have stool softners, they just arent on my list of 'approved meds'... So I was weary of them. Think I should try one? It's still a week until my next OB apt.
    Anonymous

• I think coffee can be constipating. Drink water, prune juice and eat old fashioned oatmeal. That helped me when I was pregnant. Constipation is a result of not drinking enough liquids--water--and not having enough "roughage" such as oatmeal.If you don't mind the taste of prune juice (Sunsweet) that will do the trick for sure!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Enema. Get one of the rubber water bottle enema kits. Totally drug free. Nothing gets into anyone bloodstream-- not yours not the baby's.

I've heard that sometimes things taken with a laxative action (coffee, laxative pills, senna) can cause a laxative reaction in the fetus. There is a concern about meconium release in utero.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My dr always recommended stool softeners - you can call and ask them. During my last pregnancy I actually got to the point that I had to have an enema (okay, so that's embarrassing and probably TMI), but that's just to say don't let it get to that point!

Answer by missanc at 1:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Get some of the high fiber cereal bars with 35% of your daily fiber. Eat three spaced out during the day along with other high fiber foods. If you don't go the next day you could do a suppository. Much easier than an enema.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• In general, I eat REALLY healthy. Last time I was constipated I ate some potato chips. No more constipation! (The greasy fried chips helped get things moving for me)
    Anonymous