How to potty train at 2 1/2 year old daughter?

My daughter is 2 1/2, her friends in day care are in the process of being potty trained but my daughter does not want anything to do with it. She understands the concept but refuses to go on it. I have tried the regular toliet and we also bought her own potty that she got to pick out. I have offered candy or a present but she doesn't want it. Any suggestions or help that anyone can offer I am willing to take. thank you

Dezy6933

Asked by Dezy6933 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like she isn't ready. Don't push it.
    Anonymous

• That's one (albeit very popular) school of thought. MIne falls more in line with this article on the parental role in potty training:
    http://www.arcamax.com/parents/s-424024-717629

My daughter trained young. Many would say she wasn't "ready." Yes, there was some resistance. Is she traumatized now? No. Was it cruel to show her how to use the potty instead of diapers, in other words to help her learn something new? No. We got rid of the diapers (bought some pull-ups for naps and night). We showed her what to do and then helped her until she got the hang of it. There were messes. But she was out of diapers at 19 months and is still doing great a year later.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2010