If you had the option to keep your child at your work, would you? This is what my SIL does.....

My niece is 2 1/2 and my SIL takes her to work with her because it is a family owned business with her, my hubby, my in-laws and one other guy. They don't have customers come in or anything but there are days where she doesn't get much attention due to the volume of work & there are days that she is getting too much attention & work isn't getting done. They have a pack n play in my FIL's office for her nap which he can't go into while she is in there & she now won't sleep in the pack & play & is sleeping on the couch in which she fell off of. So my question is would you rather do this or just send your child to daycare where they can play with others & maybe learn something. They have the money for daycare so I just don't understand this!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• daycare was the only option for me, I don't believe kids belong in a place of business full time
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You may be able to afford day care, but theres no telling how your child will be treated at day care! i WISH i could have a job that i could bring my kid, even if it had a child care center in the building some where, i think that would be phenomenal!!!! To each is own when it comes to kids and their care. Shes not being neglected. My kid has fallen off of the couch, in my prescence! It happens!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't choose that for my child. You might think they have the money for daycare, but unless you are their bookkeeper, you don't really know their financial situation. If you are worried about it, you should talk to your brother
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I worked in a daycare. It was in a nice expensive city and well staffed. I wouldn't wish day care upon any child.
    Anonymous

• I don't understand it either. Some people, like your SIL and my sister, seem to think ANY situation is better than daycare. I believe the kids would be better off in daycare in these type situations, and everyone could probably get more work done faster without the children around. I think it might have been a good situation when the child was an infant and sleeping a lot, but once they are past that stage they really need a safe place to play.
    Anonymous

• It is all up to them. We can not make the diecision for them.

It would be nice if I could take my child to work. I feel it is best for child to be with the parent. I would find a different spot for her to sleep. Who cares if someone has the money. that has nothing to do with it. They may not even have that extra money if they did do daycare.

Heck some days are really busy here at home and they don't get the attention they do other days.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• To save money I would rather take my kid to work, if I had the type of job I could do it.

Answer by louise2 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Not at 2 1/2. I took my oldest son when he was a baby - i worked at a travel agency and they let me put the pack n play between my desk and the wall and my boss even brought her old swing to work from her son. I got breaks to breastfeed and it was perfect! I mostly worked from home, but when I went in the set up was perfect for me. But he got a little older, a little more mobile and it would not have worked - which was okay because she sold the business!

Answer by missanc at 1:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I would, yes.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I could bring my daughter to work but I wouldn't be able to give her the appropriate attention she deserves, nor would I be able to give my work the appropriate attention. I did bring her to work after my maternity leave, when she was 4 weeks old. That worked for a few months, I could nurse when she was hungry and otherwise she mostly slept with me holding her in one arm and working with the other hand, or she would sleep in her swing or I would carry her in the Bjorn. Now she is 15 mos, I have to bring her for an hour or two on Fridays and it is tough to keep an eye on her, keep her out of trouble, and do what I need to for work. I feel guilty for ignoring her or trying to give her a toy and hope she entertains herself for five minutes so I can return a phone call. At daycare, I know she is the daycare provider's priority, she is having a blast with the other children, entertained and cared for all day.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2010