sleep interruption in 2.5 year old

Agh! My girl who used to go to bed without a murmur and sleep till morning... She's been having sleep problems and lots of fears and anxieties lately. Well, I think we've finally worked out a bedtime system so that she can go to sleep without me in the room and without a tear... but last night she woke up screaming 4 times. Once it seemed like she was talking from a dream (she said she wanted her m & ms back) but the other times she was coherent (though irrational) -- wanting to "go down and play" and being "all done" with sleep. She'll go back to sleep within about 10 minutes if I sit on her couch, but otherwise it's up to an hour of turmoil (which ends in her going back to sleep with me sitting on her couch). I understand her being afraid and I'm happy to sit with her while she goes back to sleep once or twice a night if this isn't going to be forever... but 4 times! And why is she waking -- she used to sleep through

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you got me mama... my son has always fought me to go to bed, although at least he used to sleep through the night til about 6 weeks ago, now he wakes up upset ( nightmares?? ) over his brown shoes twice, other times its Mommy, lay with me ( which we have never done.. he won't let me without an all out squirmfest and no sleep ) so now, he wakes anywhere from 1-3 times a night.. I just can only hope it gets better and to keep his routine
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2010