What is your favorite spaghetti sauce recipe?

I am in search of a spaghetti sauce recipe. We think most of what comes in jars are too sweet. Not to mention I find it hard to find them without sugar of some form added to them. So I want to make my own. What is your favorite from scratch, or mostly from scratch recipe?

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Well for my spaghetti sauce I start with a pound of Italian sausage and brown it. Drain the grease and add a medium finely chopped onion and five cloves of crushed garlic, I use a garlic press. Cook until the onion is translucent and then add two large cans of crushed tomatoes. You can use diced stewed tomatoes also. Also a medium can of tomato paste. Add two tablespoons of basil. I like fresh, but dried is nice too. Add salt and pepper to taste. The secret is to add two tbsp of balsamic vinegar. Simmer for 20 minutes and it is ready! Add some nice garlic bread and enjoy!
    You can other things like Italian seasoning if you like, but not too much. Also if you like you can add things like olives, black or green, sauteed onions, and fresh chopped tomatoes.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• my moms and she never put sugar in hers.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I pour olive oil into my big pot and heat it up. Slice, mince, whatever, a bunch of garlic - I use a whole head if it's not huge, and put in oil to brown. Add 2 cans of stewed tomatoes and any other veggies you want - last time I used red & yellow onions, red & green peppers, celery, a pound of carrots. This past summer I did all that plus eggplant & summer squash. Also add black pepper, oregano, sweet basil, parsley, and any other seasonings you like. I also add just a dash of salt & sugar (don't know why. Just do and it tastes better). If you want chunky sauce, chop the veggies kind of small. If you want it smooth, chunk them however, and when it's all cooked run an immersion blender through it (this is what I do, my kids hate chunks). Oh, I've added spinach too. You don't taste any of the extra veggies, you can sneak anything in, and my kids LOVE it. I just throw in whatever veggies I have in the house! con't
    Anonymous

• The only thing I have to make sure I use is the 2 cans of tomatoes. The more extra veggies I add, the lighter the color is - so if I add a ton of "weird" veggies, I add a can or two of tomato paste (which also helps thicken it up). I usuall make it an all-day project, though it can be done quickly. It's always enough for 2 more meals, so I freeze the extra in quart bags. One thing I've noticed is when we used jarred/canned sauce, I can only eat a little bit. With my homemade, no matter what I put in it (it's never the same, lol!) I eat a lot more of it - I think because it's milder in flavor. My hubby is very picky and he prefers it anymore to boughten sauce.
    Anonymous

• I don't use measurements--I go by taste. Brown ground beef and ground Italian sausage with olive oil and onions. Add chopped garlic. Drain grease. Return to saucepot. Add whole, drained or diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste. Season to taste with oregano, basil, parsley. Simmer on low for hours or all day (can simmer in a crockpot). You can also use boness ribs in place of the ground beef.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• If I told you I would have to kill you but if you really want to know my award winning recipe I will PM it to you if you ask nice :)
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2010