anyone ever had MRSA?

ive heard that once you get it, it can stay in your system for several years. any personal stories would be appreciated. my baby has hospital associated MRSA :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I'm very sorry to hear that your baby has that form of MRSA. My daughter had the community form of MRSA, and she has had break outs for over 2 years. We found out a lot of information on it when we went to see a infectious disease specialists. She would have her break outs every 4-5 weeks. It always was on her bottom area, and they would turn into boils, and then it would turn into a staph infection.. But once I realized how it would start all I had to do is call her doctors and they would call the bactrum into the pharmacy for me. I didn't tell many people about it due to lack of information.. *( people freak out about it )* The truth about the community form is that...
    Say someone went grocery shopping and had mrsa, that was open and oozing.. and they were pushing a cart and the puss got onto that cart.. well that MRSA bug would live on that surface for up to 70 HOURS!!! You can get it everywhere.. I hope the best for you
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Just stay strong, It's very hard because people will act like your baby is disgusting.. *been through that phase*.. But always have hope that someday it will be gone. My daughters last episode was September of 09!! So it can go just as fast as it came!! Good luck!! I hope your baby is okay!! HUGS!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• My son had MRSA in Aug 08 and again in March 09 but hasnt had it sense. The first episode was an ear infection that was draining blood (he has tubes so his fluid drains out his ear) and I demanded a culture and it came back as MRSA. The second time was something that looked like a spider bite on his leg. They treated him with an anti-biotic but it didnt go away so they cultured it and it came back as MRSA
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My son caught MRSA about 5 years ago at a Children's Hospital. My husband and I both caught it from him, because we didn't know what it was when we brought him home. We have been able to keep my younger son from contracting it, but my husband and I both still have MRSA outbreaks any time we get sick or take antibiotics, (when the antibiotics are done)... Pretty much anything that effects our immune system lets the MRSA break through. I've gone up to a year without an outbreak, but it always seems to come back. My older son, (the one who originally caught it), hasn't had an outbreak in over 3 years!! He's been on IV anitbiotics a few times since he caught it, so I think his system may be clear of it, but I think my husband and I will always struggle with it! :( We found that washing every day with a teatree oil soap seems to REALLY help keep it away! And make sure to bleach the bathtub EVERY time you use it. So sorry. :(
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• thanks everyone. when i posted this, his MRSA was really bad. it went away and then yesterday he had a boil (both in his diaper area). it looked like it was ready to bust so i popped it and you wouldnt believe how much stuff was in there! it just kept coming out and coming out. i put some triple antibiotic on it after i got ALL the ooz out and today it looks fine. i am guessing that was another MRSA outbreak.....but now i know what to look for and i think so long as i keep putting triple antibiotic on the spots as soon as i see them and get everything out of them then he should be ok.
    Anonymous