Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax Question

I only made 1800.00 last year (quit to be a sahm) from my job. I dont owe the state anything, file taxes every year etc... Can I claim my son if I live with his father? And is there a chart where it shows you how much you will be getting back/estimate? And what is needed to file head of household? Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (3)
  • Go to a tax website and use the calculator...H&R block has one, turbotax has one, the IRS site prob. has one. If i were you i would let the father claim both of you as dependants..but thats just me. If he doesnt owe and youll actually get some of the money! If he earned more you would get more back!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • If you live with your sons father, and he works, and makes more money than you did, he's the head of household, not you. He may also be able to claim you as a dependent. I'm not sure how much money (off the top of my head) you have to make before someone else cannot claim you as a dependent. Look into it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

  • I am not a tax professional You can call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.