Any good healthy meal ideas for my 19mo..severe allergies!!

He is allergic to everything in the Legume family... so every bean including soy, peanuts, green peas everything..It is so hard to find things he will like. I know there is so much protein in beans and nuts, but he can't have it.. I am at a loss...Any advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is a lot of protein in wheat germ - I used to spike my baked goods with that.

Almond butter is a good alternative to peanut butter ... of course i suppose you would need to be careful about the almond butter not being processed through machinery which also processes peanut butter - that SHOULD be do-able in view of so many people's deathly allergy to peanuts ...

Since I didn't feed my kids meat or (especially!) eggs until they were at least 5, we used a combination of dairy and nutritional yeast for protein. Milk, yogurt, milk puddings as desserts (didn't do much sweets besides fruit), cottage cheese & mild cheeses.

Keep in mind that grains give some protein and good vitamin and mineral nutrition - oats are ideal for young children, morning-noon-and-night! ... Millet and rice are good, too. Corn, bulgur-wheat, barley and rye are a little heavy-duty for the digestion of a child under 3.

A mainstay for us(cont
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• A mainstay for us was a dish my doula made for me: "Cashew rice with turkey gravy"
    Add nuts to your basic rice. And make this gravy out of nutritional yeast: In 2 Tblsp oil, saute 1/4 cup or so of onions until soft (include celery & other diced vegetables if you like). While sauteing, stir in 1 tsp / to taste of poultry seasoning (like we use to make Thanksgiving stuffing). Stir in 2 Tblsp ww flour & let it toast a couple of minutes. Add 1/2 to 1 cup nutritional yeast (link: http://www.bulkfoods.com/yeast.htm ). Stir and toast for a minute or two, then gradually add water or other liquid (almond milk, broth), stirring it and adding more until you have the consistency you want. Salt to taste (can also use Dr. Bronner's "amino acid" sauce) Voila ! A gravy ... and it's delicious.

Keep in mind that a young child needs everything "pre-chewed". For instance, whole grains are all the rage, and are very nutritious, but (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• (cont'd) But whole grains which are served whole (not ground up for the child) will just pass through. ... And a child NEEDS easy-access carbohydrates for the industrial-strength GROWING he is doing. So whole grains and whole oatmeal are excellent, but your child needs them ground up very well for him to get what he needs. ... Same is true about vegetables - some finger-feeding is great for him to be learning with, but for nutrition he needs stuff soft and mashed for his little digestion.

If he is getting grains and vegetables, you don't have to worry about pushing the protein at his age. ... Protein is mostly important when a child is being served mostly white flour stuff, potatoes, baked goods, sweets, etc.

A good cookbook I found (this was 31 years ago !) was Laurel's Kitchen. They emphasize soy, but I didn't use soy for my kids ... and my husband hated beans, so I adapted ...

Good luck !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Oh, an additional thing about a child's need for easier-to-digest carbs - just a specfic thought.

Again, whole grain is in fashion, but we have to admit that whole-grain crackers are mostly good for adults, who need that extra bran to keep us slim. This is NOT the case for growing children ... they can benefit from baked goods made with at least half white flour. For instance, I served plain ol' saltines with almond butter for a quick pick-me-up in the early afternoons ... and their bread can be sometimes a lighter type ...

:-)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• thanks so much for all your help and the time you put into answering my questions!!
    Anonymous

• Can he tolerate soy lecithin and oils or is that out? I know there are products with either in them that many soy allergic individuals can tolerate while others cannot. Those that can't have a much smaller "safe" list that may even exclude many popular grain sources. :( My DD is severely allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and seafood. I know finding safe options can be a challenge. Have you found a allergy support group online or in person? You may find others with experience with your specific avoidance list. (There are lots of online groups including several here on CafeMom!)

Will he eat dairy products? What about yogurts and cheese? Fortified grains? Turkey and chicken? These are milder in flavor and healthier than other "meat" sources of protein. Find fiber in fruits and veggies.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• OP-thankfully he can have the oil and lecithin... he does like yogurt a lot
    Anonymous