"Proverbs 22:6 (King James Version) 6Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. " ?

How many of us here are proof this passage is inaccurate?

How many of us were "trained up" as Christians growing up...then "departed" to pursue other religions, or no religion at all?

For instance, I had a VERY religious up-bringing. 12 years of Catholic School in the most conservative Diocese in the USA. I started questioning in my later HS yrs, then in college met some local Earth Religion Practitioners (aka Pagans)...and found answers. I was "trained up" one way, but discovered the other way was better FOR ME.

Anyone else?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Meeee! My mom likes to throw this shit at me all the time.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You are not old. Time will tell if the scripture is incorrect.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• That would be me, too. I am curious...what Archdiocese are you referring to?
    Anonymous

• you dont know what the future holds for you. In 10yrs you might turn to God, you just dont know. I never thought in a million years that I would turn to God in the way that I did.
    Anonymous

• Does the verse say religiously? Perhaps some of us aren't the same religion, but some may still have moral values that they were taught by their parents (not because of religion, even non religious parents) that they still uphold today such as not lying, stealing, cheating...love for others, charity, kindness...these things you learn from your parents as well regardless of the religion they were and you are now.

Anonymous

• I was raised christian as a child. Here I am today agnostic /atheist. ( I can't prove he does or does not exist, but I have no valid reasons to believe that he does.)
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I view training up of a child in terms of social and personal behavior and standards , not in religious terms. If a parent trains their child to be honest,kind,responsible and curious about the world, that will help throughout their life. And that is all they need.
    Anonymous

• My first born is a great example of this!! Brought up in a Christian School, everything went out the window when she realized she was gay and the Bible she loved dearly was condemming her. Now because of this her faith was shattered, and she doesn't beleive in God, but I always tell her that God beleives in her.

Answer by older at 2:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• first this verse does not take away free will, 2nd this verse does not say it is only about the Christian religion
    Anonymous

• I don't think you're as far away from the religion you were raised in as you may think. The proof is that you're bringing it up.
    Anonymous