Colonoscopy

IF anyone has had one, would you pleaes help me here. I just found out I will be having this done. I am scared and well afraid of what all is going on. I have done some previous searches on this thru WebMD. Not too hard or bad. Just dont have anyone wanting to hold me yet I have some who choose to do so.
Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2010 in Health

• I've had 3 so far. I was 27 when I had my first one, and they found and removed a polyp. I had a one year follow-up and a 5 year followup, both clean. It wasn't bad. I slept through most of it.
    Anonymous

• I had one. Colon cancer runs in my family. The worst part is the prep. Just follow the directions they give you and it will be fine. Also make sure the person taking you is ready to take you immediately to the nearest restaurant, because you will be HUNGRY!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• The procedure is quick and painless, but what is a pain is the preparation. Having to drink a gallon of laxative is no fun, neither is spending the prior day in the toilet to cleanse your intestines. It is preventive medicine that works!

Answer by older at 2:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• They'll give you demerol so you'll almost out to completely out.It doesn't hurt.You'll have some gas afterwards and possibly a little spotting if they take any tissue samples.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Stay close to the bathroom on prep day. The colonoscopy isn't a biggy. They give you something and you fall asleep and wake up and it's over. What they use isn't that big so no damage is being done. The best thing about them is that you lose about 10 lbs with the cleansing!

Answer by admckenzie at 2:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Im 25 & just had one done. Drinking the laxative is the worst part. As for the procedure, they put you out, and you're done. They found a polyp, but it was non-cancerous. All in all an easy thing. Good luck!
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 4:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I've had two of them. The prep is the WORST part. You will be on clear liquids the day prior. Nothing purple and red so it does not discolor the large intestine or be mistaken for blood. As far as the prep goes, see if they will give you a phosphosoda instead of Go-lytely. The phosphosoda is 30 ccs that is taken twice with 4 dulcolax tablets. The go-lytely (THE BIGGEST OXYMORON) is an entire gallon that you have to drink. You can expect to be on the toilet most of the day once that kicks in. Have baby wipes and Tucks pads on hand. As far as the colonoscopy itself goes, you will be drugged up to the point you don't care what they are doing. After the procedure, expect to fart yourself into a stupor as your body purges the gas used to expand the colon. It's not that bad. It's the prep..Ugh..
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Thank you All! Now were any of you a diabetic?
    Anonymous

• No I am not, but I was breastfeeding. My dad had one and he is diabetic. Just make sure you remind the doctors office scheduling the test because the prep might be different. I think there was something different he had to do.

Here is a great link that tells you about the fasting...

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/4025792/Diabetes-Medication-Instructions-for-Colonoscopy-Preparation-and-Procedure-Page-of

Good Luck! And don't worry, it isn't that bad.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:56 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yes I am diabetic type 2 and recently had my first colonoscopy. The prep is the worst part. Do what the others previously stated about clear liquids, wipes, tucks pads, and softess tissue. If you are diabetic the doctor will tell you what to do on your meds and etc. Also I would suggest to stay up the night before as late as you can...So when you go in and you are in the bed waiting to get done you will fall asleep also lay on your side. Helps overall. Then do plan to eat as soon as you are released. But eat small amounts in good time. Otherwise you will be in serious pain from your bowels being restarted after having the surgery. Dont stress and do what you must. Hope this helps as it was meant too. Hugs
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 6:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010